We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How scary is Karwendelbahn?

Conisbrough, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
How scary is Karwendelbahn?

No - not for me. I'm fine with anything, but I'd love to get my other half up there.

Her main concern is the rocking of the gondolas as they go over the pylons. She's not great with heights either. She'd be OK on top of the mountain itself, but the journey (or thought of it) is REALLY freaking her out.

How bad is it? Be honest please - as I don't want to make her feel uncomfortable, but if I can reassure her, there's a chance I can get her on it!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,624 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How scary is Karwendelbahn?

The mere look at the cable car line and the top station from safe ground in Mittenwald freaked ME out. There's no way you'd get me on that thing. So if your "other half" is scared of heights and swaying gondolas, you'd better settle for a compromise: send her souvenir shopping in Mittenwald and go up on your own.

Conisbrough, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How scary is Karwendelbahn?

Or try and get her on the somewhat tamer Kranzbergbahn!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/6HJRUOUEHkw/0.jpg

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,748 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How scary is Karwendelbahn?

My girlfriend is also uncomfortable in such situations. She says that staying in the middle of the cabin (which is bus-sized), holding fast to the bars and not looking out of the window helps a lot.

Somerset,England
Level Contributor
974 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How scary is Karwendelbahn?

Unfortunately its difficult for me and probably many others here to understand the question as I have never found a cable car scary or "bad" whatever that means. What do you need to reassure you. They are sturdy, safe, professionally operated, and fun and practically the only way to get to the top if thats what you want to do!

I also don't understand people who are scared of flying, but if I was I wouldn't fly

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,624 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How scary is Karwendelbahn?

Even if fear is not logical, it is nevertheless there and should be respected. Talking someone who is scared of heights into an alpine cablecar ride is not really a good idea.

England
Level Contributor
68 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How scary is Karwendelbahn?

Its been a long time since Ive been on one but from memory I dont think they rock when they go over the pylons,more of a small bump really. If shes really freaking out though its probably best she doesnt go on one especially as its not a necessity. As someone else suggested, maybe go halfway up with her and do the last bit in the cable car on your own?

7. Re: How scary is Karwendelbahn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 02:17