We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kranzberg chairlift & children....

Which Mittenwald hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kranzberg chairlift & children....

Hi there, we will be visiting Mittenwald and would love to make use of the Kranzberg chairlift. We'll be traveling with our two daughters and I wanted to ask if anyone knows if there's a cut off age or size for lap sitters on the lifts?! Our 4 year old will obviously be a lap sitter but our (very tall) 7 year old is my worry - are the seats really small?! I'm worried that she'd panic on the chairlift on her own - but I also wonder if she's too big to sit on our laps! Also does anyone know if walking UP the Kranzberg is particularly arduous? I really am sweating the small stuff, right ;)

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kranzberg chairlift & children....

Hi DeborahSNY,

It takes about 2h to walk up the Kranzberg from Mittenwald, and it's one of my favorite hikes. Some parts of it are steep --

The chair lift is a 2-person lift, so presumably your 7-year-old could ride with one of the parents. I don't know about the 4-year-old though.

Here's a link to the page about the chairlift:

alpenwelt-karwendel.de/en/kranzberg-chair-li…

You may want to email them and ask about the recommended ages and where the 4-year-old may sit.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kranzberg chairlift & children....

ooops. I thought I had seen two seats on the Kranzberg lift, but I see now that it is a one-person chair.

Just email the operators and ask what they recommend for children.

s

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,181 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kranzberg chairlift & children....

Some photos: Kranzberg chairlift & children

gemeindewerke-mittenwald.de/kranzberg-sessel…

NY
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kranzberg chairlift & children....

thank you Abalada!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kranzberg chairlift & children....

I've been there a few years ago with my then 5 yrs old son. He sat on a chair of his own for the very first time, and it worked out very well.

The lift operators stop the lift for kids to get on and off.

Edited: 12 June 2013, 14:37
NY
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kranzberg chairlift & children....

thank you this is very helpful! momma needs a chill pill!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kranzberg chairlift & children....

*lol*

I needed a chill pill myself back then. I showed my son the lift, asked him if it is okay for him before buying the tickets, gave him instructions on how to behave on the lift and in the end he had lots of fun while I was worrying all the way up.

It will be fine, you'll see :)

NY
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kranzberg chairlift & children....

Well we're back! After a wonderful, wonderful trip to Mittenwald! I thought I'd update in case anyone will be following this at a later date. My 7 year old adored the chairlift and was very proud of herself for travellng alone....it goes high enough to be fun, but never panicky high. The 4 year old of course sat on a lap. The official rule I guess is that 6 and under sit on laps, but it seems to be pretty much up to your personal judgement. Don't miss out on the trip - barefoot trail is beautiful, there's a cute playground up there and a great cafe. Many thanks for everyone's help on this!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
908 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kranzberg chairlift & children....

We did the chairlift too. Lovely slow ride looking across beautiful pine trees to the mountains. And after such a strenuous ride :) we were obliged to have ice cream at the cafe at the end.

Mittenwald is totally delightful. Glad you enjoyed it too.

Fayetteville
Level Contributor
239 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kranzberg chairlift & children....

Lift or hike to Kranzberg looks like fun. We will be there in two days. How cold was it at the top? Thanks.