We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Salzburg

Which Mittenwald hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
898 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Salzburg

We loved Mittenwald (there for 2 days in July) and am considering a longer stay next time.

My question .... We would be moving on to Salzburg and I would prefer the scenic train ride via Innsbruck, than returning to Munich. Having used the Bavaria ticket this past trip, is the Einfach -Raus-ticket the Austrian equivalent? There will be 4 of us travelling. And can it be purchased in Mittenwald? If I understood it correctly, a 32Euro fee for 2-5 people travelling together?

Many thanks..

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Salzburg

The ÖBB Einfach-Raus-Ticket is only valid on suburban and regional service trains (RE, RB, R, REX and S-Bahn trains).

Regional service between Innsburck and Salzburg on regional trains is limited and require a change in Rosenheim.

There is a Mittenwald departure at 10:26 -> Innsbruck -> Rosenheim -> arriving Salzburg HBF at 14:42.

http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en

Via: Innsbruck Hbf

To: Salzburg Hbf

select Date

Time: 10:00

change 'Products' to without ICE, TGV, ect.

Edited: 28 September 2013, 17:21
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,881 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Salzburg

> s the Einfach -Raus-ticket the Austrian equivalent?

Roughly.

> And can it be purchased in Mittenwald?

Yes.

> If I understood it correctly, a 32Euro fee for 2-5 people travelling together?

Yes.

BIG PROBLEM: it is of no real use for the route want to take

- it does not cover the part between Mittenwald and Scharnitz (first stop in Austria)

- it does not cover the route via Rosenheim

There are direct OEIC and railjet trains from Innsbruck to Salzburg. They travel through Bavaria (via Rosenheim) but don't stop in Bavaria. So called corridor trains. For them the domestic ÖBB tariff applies. These train types are however not covered by a Einfach-Raus-Ticket. And a route to Salzburg entirely inside Austria would be a mega detour.

You can however travel on VVT ticket from Mittenwald to destinations in the Austrian state Tirol. VVT has however sadly no mini group offers.

http://www.vvt.at

a) using OEIC or railjet from Innsbruck to Salzburg

- VVT tickets from Mittenwald to Scharnitz

- see what discounted tickets you can get from Scharnitz to Salzburg through ÖBB

http://www.oebb.at

Saw this from EUR 86 (for all 4 of you). But in theory the tickets start from EUR 9 pp.

a1) a variant of a) which may be also worth to check out

- VVT tickets from Mittenwald to Innsbruck (EUR 8,00 pp)

- see what discounted tickets you can get from Innsbruck to Salzburg through ÖBB

b) using regional trains from Kufstein to Salzburg

- VVT tickets from Mittenwald to Kufstein (EUR 16,70 pp)

- Bayern Ticket from Kufstein to Salzburg (EUR 34,00 for all 4 of you together)

Edited: 28 September 2013, 19:20
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
898 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Salzburg

Brilliant, thanks Abalada, I knew I could count on you!

I think we will likely go via Innsbruck for the scenery and buy an advance purchase ticket Innsbruck to Salzburg.

You are always so helpful with detailed responses.... Much obliged.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
898 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Salzburg

And thanks to you, Douglas, the step by step instructions very helpful.

Have only been back from our last trip 2 months and already planning the next one.... :)

5. Re: Train to Salzburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 06:22