We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Oberammergau

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for Oberammergau

Me and my partner are staying in Oberammergau for 4 days in September. She likes to get everything planned beforehand so I'm drawing up an itinerary. We will have a hire car so we are mobile and we wanted some inspiration for what to do/see. We'll do the usual castles, churches etc. but we wondered if there are other interesting things to see and do in this area. So far I've got Wieskirche, Ettal Abbey, Linderhof Palace, Neuschwanstein Castle and Hohenschwangau to visit. What other highlights would you suggest? We hope to do some easy walks too. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,114 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for Oberammergau

The Zugspitze trip, Germnay's highest mounain, is right in Garmisch. Miitenwald is oiur favoriite village in the area, maybe in all Bavaria, and close to Oberammergau. The Karwendelbahn cable car here is very good and half the cost of the Zugspitze. The luge rides (Sommerrodelbahn) are fun and are in Gamich and another a mile or so from Neuschwanstien at Tegelberg. Tegelberg also has a good cable car trip. When visiting Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau, check out the charming old town of Fuessen, just a few minutes drive from the castles.

Paul

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for Oberammergau

Thanks Paul. I appreciate that. I'm excited about the luge! Also Mittenwald appeals a lot.

München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for Oberammergau

If you are interested in the everyday life of the people in bavaria in the old times than you should visit Glentleiten. It is an open air museum with around 60 old buildings. Here you can get more information about it:

- www.glentleiten.de/index.phtml…

- not far from Glentleiten is Kochel am See where you can find the Franz Marc Museum, after that visit you could eat in the restaurant of the museum:

- www.franz-marc-museum.de/english/index.php

another place you could go is Murnau, which is a pretty little town not far from Oberammergau:

- www.bayregio-murnau.de/english/

- www.murnau.de/en/information-on-murnau-1_p2

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for Oberammergau

Just saw on Bavarian Television, that the train service between Munich and Oberammgau appears to be carried out, at least parrtially, by bus, because of major track overhaul. Might be wise to check up on this, by posting a specific query on this Forum.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for Oberammergau

Thank you Susi. That sounds great. I've built a nice little itinerary now and I'm very excited!

6. Re: Itinerary for Oberammergau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2015, 21:15