We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zugspitze - Temperate in late August/early September

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Zugspitze - Temperate in late August/early September

What is the usual temperate like at the summit in late August/early September? I'm wondering what type of clothing I should for this part of my trip. (Keep in mind that I'm from Canada and I'm used to winter daytime temperatures of -15C or less; just don't want to take too much or too little clothing the trip up the mountain.)

Thanks!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Zugspitze - Temperate in late August/early September

Better too much than too little, eh?

Since the weather in the Alps changes quickly and the range is from brightest sunshine to snowstorm, there is no such thing as a "usual temperature". We're talking an altitude of almost 2000 m. I'd never go on a mountain excursion without a rain- and windproof jacket and a sweater in my daypack. If you're lucky you won't need them, but chances are you will. I'd rather carry a piece too much than freeze.

Have you heard of those people who died during a mountain run up the Zugspitze a couple of weeks ago when they were caught in a sudden snowstorm?

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zugspitze - Temperate in late August/early September

We just got back from a week in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (actually, Grainau right at the base of the Zugspitze). Our days (at the base of the mountain) ranged from almost 90 degrees fahrenheit and bright sun to 60 degrees fahrenheit and rain. We waited for "the right day" to go up the Zugspitze. It was a very hot and clear day (in the valley). We actually wore shorts and t-shirts with jackets. At the top we ended up with our jackets off for most of the time, even while playing around on the snow of the glacier (we're from Michigan). But man, I imagine it is COLD and miserable on others days. I would expect the same while you are there.

I would suggest to check each morning while there (I assume you're staying in the area) and when you see a bright, hot clear blue sky make a run for the cable car. Go in the morning (the earlier the better if the summit is clear) because we noticed the summit tended to pick up clouds around 2 p.m. everyday.

If you only have one day and need to go that day whatever the weather, then plan for it to be cold and blustery and possibly rainy. Long pants, shoes with socks, at least a light winter jacket. Then hope for the best!

During our week, it was not a sure thing at all that we would go. I figured this was something that would be totally weather dependent because it is pricey and I was sorely tempted not to go at all. But going on such a beautiful weather day was FABULOUS and really a highlight of our trip. I think if the weather had been miserable that it would not have been worth the time or money expended.

One other thought.....we went up the cable car and came back down the cogwheel train. Looking back, the one thing we said we would change is that we would have gone both up and down the cable car because the ride is a thrill and the views are phenomenal. In comparison, the cog wheel train was a total snooze......very very slow and probably half the train slept most of the way. A good portion is through a dark tunnel, then the rest is through a forest. No real views to speak of.

Hope this helps!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zugspitze - Temperate in late August/early September

Zugspitze weather report today: +9°C, sunny, moderate wind, visibility 100 kms

Prediction for tomorrow: up to +5°C, cloudy with occasional rain, windy, visibility 20 kms

http://www.zugspitze.de

4. Re: Zugspitze - Temperate in late August/early September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 08:16