We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

obergammerau - passion play 210

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
obergammerau - passion play 210

We've just received confirmation for 2010 Passion Plan tickets. Now we need to plan a trip. We would love to stay in Oberammegau, however, we have feedback from the town tourist office that this will not be possible as all the rooms are being offered to those who request a package (hotel and play). So, we are looking for a hotel. We are also looking for some suggestions regarding other things we could do while in this area. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,065 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: obergammerau - passion play 210

Hi Blanej00,

If you take a look at the German rail site at

www.bahn.de

you'll see that you can get between Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Oberammergau in either 39 minutes by bus or in 1h17 by train. You can use that site to plan your exact arrival & departure for the day you have tickets.

If you can give us more information about your hotel requirements, our suggestions will be more helpful. What kind of amenities are important to you? Location near the train station, near the mountains, or near shopping? What kind of price range are you comfortable with?

Also, about your activitiies, it would be helpful to know a little about you. Do you enjoy hiking (that's what most folks do here), shopping, or visiting other villages and towns?

In any case, you can get started on your research at the town's website,

www.garmisch-partenkirchen.de

Hope to hear a little more!

s

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: obergammerau - passion play 210

Thank you for your quick response. We are a healthy, active group. Our preference would be to stay close to the train to minimize transportation challenges. We are not really 'hikers', however, we might enjoy a little of that, but do enjoy touring--seeing the sites, experiencing the culture, architecture and food.

Since the play has a 4 hour intermission over the dinner hour and those with a hotel package are being accomodated by the hotel for dinner, I was wondering how difficult it might be to find a restaurant. Could recommend a few restaurants and advise regarding advance reservations. Thanks for your advice.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,065 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: obergammerau - passion play 210

Hi again,

You haven't given a price preference or a preference for a pension, so I'll give you what I know of the 3-4 star hotels close to the train station.

While I don't have any personal information about these hotels (I've only stayed in holiday apartments in Grainau and in Mittenwald), I can confirm that they are close to the train station. I would assume that you could trust their websites for amenities; and I'll bet a month's income that all will be clean!

http://www.wittelsbacher-hof.com/

quality-hotel-koenigshof.de/content_manager/…

http://www.garmischer-hof.de/de/text_zimmer/

http://www.hotel-roter-hahn.com/index_e.htm

http://www.vierjahreszeiten.cc/

www.bavarian-hotels.com/sp_e/index.html

The Hotel Bavaria might be the farthest away but still easily walkable, and that's the one I would choose. My second choice would be the Garmischer Hof.

Are you looking for a restaurant in Oberammergau or in Garmisch for dinner that night? I would certainly look for a place in Oberammergau, then have time for a nice stroll after dinner. I wouldn't want to be on a time crunch and worrying about getting between towns.

Sorry, but I haven't yet stepped foot in Oberammergau. I have a friend who lives there, so I'll ask her about restaurants or what to do for those four hours. I'll probably see her tomorrow.

Have fun!

s

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,065 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: obergammerau - passion play 210

Hi again,

Forgot to reply about the hikes.

There are dozens of hikes here, of course, out on the mountains that surround the town. I've only begun to explore all of them.

One walk I like a lot and have done a lot is from the town of Farchant (take the city bus there) back to Partenkirchen on the Philosophenweg. Takes about an hour and is pretty flat.

I've started some walks up to the Wank during winter, but it was too icy to continue; anyway, those are pretty steep.

There are lots of walks around the Rießersee and the Hausberg mountain, and also around the Alpspitz.

Of course, the Partnachklamm is very popular.

Here is a brief list of some walks from the tourist office:

http://www.garmisch-partenkirchen.de/infomaxcms.php?artid={d78e11d7-fb17-4436-4c53-f18842547081}&lang=en

You can research all of these walks exactly using google maps with the terrain feature, of course.

One way to combine a nice walk with some sight-seeing is to do one of my very favorite walks. Take the bus to Krün (past Mittenwald) and then walk to Mittenwald, about two hours. It's incredibly scenic, facing the Wetterstein range the whole way, and it's flat. Then, stroll some streets in Mittenwald, have lunch, and do some shopping. It's a wonderful little town.

Hope this gets you started!

s

Florida
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: obergammerau - passion play 210

http://www.altepost.com/index.php?id=7&L=1 We have eaten here many times and it is always good. Bathroom tip. You can always use their very clean bathroom.

Go down the side streets and you will find some of the best bake shops, meat markets with the best cheeses. Have a picnic if nothing else. There is not a bad place to eat there.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: obergammerau - passion play 210

Again, thanks for the info and for the links. I've already checked out a couple and sent requests for room availability. They look great!

Yes, I think it might be easier to stay in Oberammegau for dinner the evening of the play and I appreciate your offer to ask your friend.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,065 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: obergammerau - passion play 210

Hi again,

She had two recommendations --

For a reasonable meal, she suggested "Die Rose," and to look for the few tables on the side of the house to sit outside and away from traffic.

For a more expensive meal, try the Msximilian.

You should have reservations for whichever one you shoose!

Have fun!

s

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,065 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: obergammerau - passion play 210

Sorry. "Maximilian."

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: obergammerau - passion play 210

Thank you for your suggestions. We have been confirmed for Hotel Bavaria. It looks very nice and we're excited about it. There seem to be quite a number of interesting things to do in the area, so we are there for 5 nites. Then, we think we're going to drive to Prague. It should be an adventure.

Denver, colorado
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: obergammerau - passion play 210

Please tell me how you managed to just get the tickets to the play> Even the direct web site pulls up 1 and 2 day packages. What site did you go on?

Get answers to your questions about Garmisch-Partenkirchen