We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

G-P or Grainau?

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hanover, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
G-P or Grainau?

We are going to be in the Garmisch area over Xmas this year (planning 12/21-12/26 or 27). We put in to stay at the military resort (Edelweiss) but didn't get a room in the lottery so now I am looking for an apartment. Of course, it's a bit late in the game for this for the Xmas holiday!

Anyhow, I have a few options for my group. It will be my family (2 adults, 2 young children under 5) and my in-laws (very early 60's, lots of energy!). We have some options in G-P and some in Grainau. They both seem to be very close to each other and we will have a car. At that time of the year would it be better to be IN G-P? Or will it not matter if we stay in Grainau? We plan to do plenty of sightseeing, maybe a day of skiing, but we also like to stroll the streets. Any info you can give me would be great! The setup of the places I've found in G-P are not as ideal for our group as in Grainau, but if it is that much of an advantage I will take a place in G-P if it's closer to the action. Thanks so much!

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
512 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: G-P or Grainau?

Grainau is a small village with not much going on. You would have a 5 minute drive into Garmisch and then have to find parking, which isn't difficult, but could be a pain. I would prefer to stay in Garmisch somewhere where I can walk to the pedestrian platz and not have to worry about parking. Plus there are plenty of restaurants and cafes in Garmish to pop in and have a drink or snack.

Garmisch is small by US standards, Grainau is really small. Plus the Christmas market will be set up in Garmisch and you can just stoll around and everyone can go walk when they want without having to wait for someone to get them into town from Grainau.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: G-P or Grainau?

Hi nfowife,

Well -- you really would not be obliged to drive into Garmisch-Partenkirchen if you stayed in Grainau. There is a bus (called the Eibsee Bus) that links the two towns and runs a couple of times an hour; the bus stops at seven or eight different spots in GaP, so it will be convenient no matter where you're going in town. It would be a lot easier to do your Garmisch travels using that bus than driving for a few minutes and then hunting (and paying for) parking. (I spent two months in a vacation apartment in Grainau in Oct-Dec 08)

Oh -- another way to come, if there is no snow on the gournd, is by bike. There is a wonderful bike trail that links Grainau and GaP and takes about 15 minutes.

Anyway, have fun!

s

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: G-P or Grainau?

Hi again,

(Sorry for the typos above!)

Just wanted to add another suggestion for you -- the village of Mittenwald. This is about 20 minutes from GaP (going toward Innsbruck), and it's sweeter and prettier than Grainau, I think. Its central site is

www.mittenwald.de

Anyway, have fun!

s

Hanover, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: G-P or Grainau?

Thank you all for your info. I think we want to focus on G-P because we have access to the base to get food and whatnot when we need it, and (more importantly!) for at least one of the days when we go skiing I plan to put my 2 children in the base daycare center while we ski. So, I'd like to be as close as possible to the base amenities if I can. I have put together a google map of my options in Garmisch and will post it in a bit to get your input. Thanks so much!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: G-P or Grainau?

Hi again,

Actually, some parts of Grainau are closer to the Kasernes than most parts of Garmisch. Yes, take a look at some maps -- the Kasernes are around Breitenau waaaay at the end of Zugspitzstrasse.

have fun!

s

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: G-P or Grainau?

One of the city bus stops in Garmisch is very near the base. We were there two years ago, and the taxi driver complained about hassles he always had taking people on base. We did have problems the first day with access, since we are civilians and they were not as familiar with our id cards as they were with military cards.

Have fun - it's all beautiful there!

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
354 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: G-P or Grainau?

The bus from Grainau to G-P has a stop at the intersection between the George Marshall center and the entrance to the Artillery Kaserne---which is where the day care center, BX and Commissary are located. It is a very short walk across the bridge over the Loisach (sp) to the gate, enter, turn left 100 ft and you are at day care.

You mention getting food on base, so I assume that at least one of you is active duty--have to be to use the BX or Commissary, retirees not allowed. I would not plan to eat at the Edelweiss on the Marshall center-- it is purely American food and the buffet at "The Marketplace" restaurant is renowned for it's overpriced awfulness. Try the "Golden Angel" (Goldener Engel) along the Marianplatz in Garmisch or the Frauendorfer on the Ludwigstrasse in upper Partenkirchen for some authentic German food reasonably priced.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: G-P or Grainau?

Were the vacation cabins all booked at Edelweiss? We love it there. You can get the larger cabin with a bathroom or the smaller one that you use the bathhouse with. The heat was great, a microwave, frig, goose down comforters and you can walk everywhere. We love it there.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: G-P or Grainau?

We thought the buffet at Edelweiss was great. For the price and the selection it was good. My husband loved the breakfast. He likes not having to pay for drink refills. First time eating there after many mornings eating at places where you pay 2 to 3 euro for a cup of coffee he had juice, 2 cups of coffee, two glasses of milk and was thrilled. It is US dollars that you are spending there not euro also. We eat in town, love this place in PartenKirchen called Ludwigsstuben. We ate at this place by the vacation village cabins also and it was on base so US money. We are hoping it will be opened in Sept for our next visit.

Hanover, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: G-P or Grainau?

We will have our car, so no problem driving onto the base. My husband is AD so no problems there either.

We have found a place on the Partenkirchen side that I think will be great for our family. Thanks for the all input!

Edelweiss operates on a lottery basis for the Christmas/New Years holiday period...we had to put in our request in May and just found out 2 weeks ago we didn't get a place. I'm actually happy about it now, I want to experience Germany and I think we have a better chance of that being off base. I don't need overpriced American food when I am in Germany :) .We've also heard that there is an excellent Mexican place in G-P that I am looking forward to trying though. Anything but Italian would be welcome!