We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still considering trip to Bavaria with "11th hour" plans

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas, USA
Level Contributor
43 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Still considering trip to Bavaria with "11th hour" plans

Hello everyone-

Seems like I've been planning this trip for a long time and now it feels like I am running out of time with no reservations anywhere. Neither of us have ever been to Europe before.

The plan was to fly to Germany early October - into either Munich or Frankfurt and make our base in Garmisch (for a week or so of day trips to the castles, Innsbruck, Zugspitze, maybe sights/towns to the east etc. etc.)

My wife and I fly standby so Frankfurt is a strong possibility as our point of entry.

How hard and expensive is it to connect to German Rail (at FRA) and travel to Garmisch? We've heard and read the system is very good but is it complicated when you have no reservations and luggage to haul along?

If we come into Germany this way we would want to rent a car in Garmisch. Are there many car rentals in Garmisch? Are cars hard to get there? We've read that there is a big military base nearby.

Or -

We originally wanted to fly into Munich and drive down to Garmisch - but standby flights don't look good. So much for frequent traveler miles.

At this point, we don't know whether to risk trying to do everything "on the run" or try to make some last minute reservations. Hotel, Car, etc.

I'm sure someone out there has been faced with a first-time last-minute trip with no advance plans(?). What are your suggestions? Any and all will be welcome.

Thank you very much.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Still considering trip to Bavaria with "11th hour" plans

If we come into Germany this way we would want to rent a car in Garmisch. Are there many car rentals in Garmisch? Are cars hard to get there? We've read that there is a big military base nearby.

You can rent a car there and yes there is a military base there. We have always rented at the airport but you can take the train and rent when you get to Garmisch. This time we are flying into Frankfurt and driving to the Ardennes first and then going to Garmisch, taking the train though to Oktoberfest so we don't have to worry about driving.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Still considering trip to Bavaria with "11th hour" plans

In early October you should have no problem finding decent lodging in Garmisch-Partenkirchen without reservations. It would be helpful if you could arrange things so that you get to the local tourist office in G-P before 4PM. They then can find you the lodging.

As to rental car, you may get a better rate if you book here in the States. Check AutoEurope and see what they have in G-P. You may reserve the car for a day or two later than your planned arrival, in case your stand-by status delays your flight arival.

Other than that it takes time, you won't have any difficulty going by train from the FRA aiport to Garmisch, although you may have to change trains a couple of times. Since you will be flying stand-by, I assume you won't have tons of luggage. So that won't be any problem on trains either. For all train info. check www.bahn.de In fact. when you arrive in FRA, check the trains station ASAP and you may still be able to reserve seats on a train that gets you to GP at a decent hour.

I don't know on which airline you will be flying stand-by. Have you looked into flying into Zuerich? Check train connections fromn Zuerich to G-P on www.bahn.de as well.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,092 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Still considering trip to Bavaria with "11th hour" plans

Hi RalphRR,

Yes, the German trains are dead-easy to use, and fun besides. Let me tell you, you do not need to rent a car at all, even after you get to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. There are good train and bus connections to the castles and other smaller villages, and you might enjoy being able to travel with the locals. I've spent time here on vacation and live here now, and do not have or need a car. I get around to Oberammergau, Mittenwald, München, etc, just great.

One note -- you can get great fares on the trains if you could possibly buy your tickets at least three days in advance. They are called Dauer Specials, and they take you anywhere in Germany for 29E. Take a look at the German rail site

www.bahn.de

Yes, there is a small Army base on the outskirts of town, at the far eastern part of town, at the intersection of Zugspitzstrasse & Breitenauer (take a look using google maps). Will you have reservations at the Edelweiss?

Anyway, have fun!

s

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,092 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Still considering trip to Bavaria with "11th hour" plans

My greatest apologies. Apparently I am upside down!! The Artillery Kaserne, the Army post, is on the extremem west side of town.

s

Florida
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Still considering trip to Bavaria with "11th hour" plans

Try Zurich or Salzburg for flights also.

6. Re: Still considering trip to Bavaria with "11th hour" plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2010, 06:20