We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to ski lifts

usa
5 posts
Save Topic
getting to ski lifts

We will be traveling with 6 adults and 4 children and staying in a hotel. How do we get to the ski lifts? We would like to choose a hotel that is closest to lifts

Germany
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to ski lifts

A cogwheel train Zugspitzbahn departs from the station in Garmisch. There is also a free Skibus

Some hotel nearby :

- Quality Hotel Königshof

- Treff Hotel Alpina

- Reindls Partenkirchner Hof

or you stay in Grainau , a village close to Zugspitze

You might like hotel ? www.eibsee-hotel.de/rw_e8v/eibsee_e/start/

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,130 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to ski lifts

Hi henryusa71,

There are also town busses that run through town (past most hotels) and to the Kreuzeckbahn and Alpspitzbahn. They cost about 1E40, or you can get a week's fare or a fare for seven rides (8E40 I think). If you'd like, I can post the url for the route.

Last winter, the busses were always full of couples and families hobbling along in boots and toting skis on the bus. It's a common way to get there.

Yes, before you choose your hotel, you may want to research to see which lift/s you're likely to use the most.

Have fun!

s

usa
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to ski lifts

Thanks for the speedy reply. We'll look hotel near train station

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
512 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting to ski lifts

Hotel Sissi is very close to the train station on Aachenfeldstrasse. A 5 minute walk from train station and 5 minutes to the pedestrian platz. There is a ski lift about a 15 minute walk to the Hausberg lift, and minute walk to the bus stop. Very nice family run hotel with reasonable rates.

usa
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: getting to ski lifts

Thanks for all the great information. I have two more questions...what is the easiest way for ten people and their 'stuff' to ge from Munich airport to Garmisch train station>

Germany
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting to ski lifts

In winter I think the easiest and cheapest was is by train.

It take about 2 hours from airport to Garmisch and you only have to change once (München Pasing) .

Because these are local trains you can buy 2 Bayerntickets .

Each is valid for 5 and costs 28€

usa
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: getting to ski lifts

Thanks for all the great info!!!

Andover, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: getting to ski lifts

Just wanted to add a few details to excellent info already provided.

The Bayern Lander Tickets cover you for the whole journey from the airport to Garmisch. Take the S8 line subway from the centre of the airport terminal (buy tickets at Deutsche Bahn kiosk) and change to D-Bahn at Munich Parsing.

If you are serving or ex US military then you can stay at the Edelweiss lodge next to the Hausberg lift rather than a hotel. www.edelweisslodgeandresort.com/home.html

All visitors to Garmisch pay a local Kurtax (included in the hotel chargel) for this you get a KurCard which gives you unlimited free travel on Garmisch buses and free rail travel to nearby Erhwald in Austria. If the hotel don't offer it to you then ask them for it.

If you want to try other local slopes then think about buying a Happy Ski Card - family ones available for those with kids. (Note kids are up to 19 years old!!) This covers 9 resorts. Hppy Ski cards are available from the Garmisch Hausberg lift.

ehrwalderalmbahn.at/ehrwalderalmbahn/en/ski_…

Ehrwald is a lovely area with great slopes and is well worth a visit. Ski buses are free in Ehrwald too - no need for a Kurcard. Aim for the Ehrwalder alm slopes.

If you need any further info let me know by posting again.

Andover, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: getting to ski lifts

Just wanted to add a few details to excellent info already provided.

The Bayern Lander Tickets cover you for the whole journey from the airport to Garmisch. Take the S8 line subway from the centre of the airport terminal (buy tickets at Deutsche Bahn kiosk) and change to D-Bahn at Munich Parsing.

If you are serving or ex US military then you can stay at the Edelweiss lodge next to the Hausberg lift rather than a hotel. www.edelweisslodgeandresort.com/home.html

All visitors to Garmisch pay a local Kurtax (included in the hotel chargel) for this you get a KurCard which gives you unlimited free travel on Garmisch buses and free rail travel to nearby Erhwald in Austria. If the hotel don't offer it to you then ask them for it.

If you want to try other local slopes then think about buying a Happy Ski Card - family ones available for those with kids. (Note kids are up to 19 years old!!) This covers 9 resorts. Hppy Ski cards are available from the Garmisch Hausberg lift.

ehrwalderalmbahn.at/ehrwalderalmbahn/en/ski_…

Ehrwald is a lovely area with great slopes and is well worth a visit. Ski buses are free in Ehrwald too - no need for a Kurcard. Aim for the Ehrwalder alm slopes.

If you need any further info let me know by posting again.

Edited: 07 December 2009, 18:27
Kyiv
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: getting to ski lifts

Hi,

I have the similar question: we'll stay here coming Jan:

Mühlstraße 3 82467 Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=M%C3%BChlstra%C3%9Fe+3%0D%0A82467+Garmisch-Partenkirchen,+Germany&hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=M%C3%BChlstra%C3%9Fe+3,+82467+Garmisch-Partenkirchen,+Bayern,+Germany&ll=47.492704,11.088037&spn=0.014499,0.038409&z=15

Could anyone help us with the best possible way to reach ski lifts from the place of our staying? (it's I first time w'll be in Garmisch (and even in Germany) and know nothing about skiing here:)

Edited: 19 December 2009, 09:59