We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zugspitze Summit

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
100 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Zugspitze Summit

How long a journey from Garmisch to Zugspitze Summit takes?

I intend go up by train and return by cable.Is it possible in half day?My trip will be in May/2010.

Germany
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Zugspitze Summit

Hi, i´t about 75 minutes from Garmisch to the end of the railway at the Zugspitze, there you can take a cable car that goes up right to the summit in a few more minutes.

The Cable Car down ("Eibseeseilbahn") then takes just a bit more than 10 minutes and goes until the Eibsee and from there the train needs another 35 minutes back to garmisch.

So it´s about 2 1/4 hour of pure travel, no problem whatsoever to do it in half a day if you want to. I´d make an early start though. And beware of holiday weekends in May : May 13th (thursday) and May 24th (monday) are national holidays, making those weekends very busy with a lot of germans making short trips to attractions like the Zugspitze.

If you can, you might want to avoid those 2 weekends and do it midweek.

There´s a ticket covering all those relays, so make sure you get this roundtrip-ticket.

Hope you have a great time, it´s worth the time you spent there :)

Florida
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zugspitze Summit

The cog train was ok but would do the cable car both ways if I did it again. Go into the Chapel, it was beautiful.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
100 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zugspitze Summit

Thanks Whomario and Flpad for replying.

Could You believe I was planning to arrive in Garmisch just in May 24th?

I'm reviewing my schedule and considering yours advices.

Where could I find informations regarding cog train and cable timetables, booking tours, prices,etc ?

indiana
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zugspitze Summit

I would also like to know the opening dates for both approaches to Zugspitze: We arrive in Munich May 21 -- we could get to Zugspitze from Garmisch or from MIttenwald, but I need to be sure the cable cars are up and running from both German and Austrian sides. If not, it could be scheduled at end of trip, around June 11, 12 before departing from Munich. Can anyone confirm opening dates?

Kansas
Level Contributor
630 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zugspitze Summit

Don't spend the money if it's a cloudy day. 47 Euros/pp

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
100 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zugspitze Summit

Thanks for Your advice.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
512 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zugspitze Summit

The following link may be helpful:

http://www.zugspitze.de/en/winter/index.htm

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zugspitze Summit

I agree with the above post-er. We took the cable car up and the cogwheel train down and WISHED we had taken the cable car both ways. The train views are largely the inside of a tunnel and then trees as you go through a forest......90% of our fellow train passengers slept on the train!

On the other hand, the cable car views are STUNNING!

There is a pretty little alpine lake (the Eibsee) basically at the bottom of the cable car station. A 2 minute walk from the cable car station at the bottom of the mountain will put you at little beer gardens and restaurants on the shore of the lake, as well as boat rentals, etc.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
100 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zugspitze Summit

Thanks DrDebi for your advice.For sure I'll take the cable car in both ways.

10. Re: Zugspitze Summit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 08:17