We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to eat good and cheap in garmisch?

Bucuresti
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
where to eat good and cheap in garmisch?

Hello. I'll be in Garmisch with 4 friends from 13-21 January and I want to know were i can eat at very good prices?

Thank you very much.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
512 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to eat good and cheap in garmisch?

There are two good Italian restaurants in Garmisch that I enjoy. Antica Roma and Colosseo. Both are on the second floor above shops. Antica Roma is at the "end" of the pedestrian platz. You can sit and look directly down the platz at all the people strolling down the platz. If you are walking down the platz in Garmisch in the direction of the Zugspitz, there is a slight bend in the street..it is in the building that looks directly down the platz at the bend. Colosseo is close by. There is a street right in front of Antica Roma that goes off to the right (as you look down the platz). Walk up this street maybe 100 yards and you will see a grocery store on the left side and above the grocery store is Colosseo.

There is also a nice German restaurant Hofbraustuberl on the other end of the platz in Garmisch. If you walk out of Antica Roma, down the platz away form the Zugspitz, you will see the Tourist Center. At the tourist center the platz ends, but there is a book store on the corner, turn right at the book store and about 30 yards up that street is the Hofbraustuberl. Great Cordon Bleu, and when we go we split the cordon bleu and it is plenty for a nice meal.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
512 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to eat good and cheap in garmisch?

There are two good Italian restaurants in Garmisch that I enjoy. Antica Roma and Colosseo. Both are on the second floor above shops. Antica Roma is at the "end" of the pedestrian platz. You can sit and look directly down the platz at all the people strolling down the platz. If you are walking down the platz in Garmisch in the direction of the Zugspitz, there is a slight bend in the street..it is in the building that looks directly down the platz at the bend. Colosseo is close by. There is a street right in front of Antica Roma that goes off to the right (as you look down the platz). Walk up this street maybe 100 yards and you will see a grocery store on the left side and above the grocery store is Colosseo.

There is also a nice German restaurant Hofbraustuberl on the other end of the platz in Garmisch. If you walk out of Antica Roma, down the platz away form the Zugspitz, you will see the Tourist Center. At the tourist center the platz ends, but there is a book store on the corner, turn right at the book store and about 30 yards up that street is the Hofbraustuberl. Great Cordon Bleu, and when we go we split the cordon bleu and it is plenty for a nice meal.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to eat good and cheap in garmisch?

Hi vali_geodezu,

Exactly how very good is "very good prices"?

I like the Cafe Krönner, right on the pedestrian walk in the center of town. It's always crowded with locals, and I've heard that it's one of the best priced in town.

In Partenkirchen, there is the Frauendorfer, or the restaurant at the Hotel Drei Mohren.

Also, pizzas are always a good bet for a meal at around 15-20E.

Do NOT forget that you can pick up prepared meals that only need to be heated up from grocery stores -- there is a Rewe just a couple of blocks from the Tourist Info office.

Have fun!

s

Bucuresti
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where to eat good and cheap in garmisch?

Thank you very much for your prompt answers.

We are travelling on a budget and we don't know how much money we will spend on the food.

Can you give me some examples of the prices from Garmisch restaurants?

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
512 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to eat good and cheap in garmisch?

most entrees are about 13-15 Euro...depends on where..but that seems to be a good average. The pizza and lasagnes are a bit cheaper..seems like in the 10-13 Euro range. From my memory..don't have a menu in front of me...

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
512 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to eat good and cheap in garmisch?

most entrees are about 13-15 Euro...depends on where..but that seems to be a good average. The pizza and lasagnes are a bit cheaper..seems like in the 10-13 Euro range. From my memory..don't have a menu in front of me...

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to eat good and cheap in garmisch?

Hi again,

Here's a link to the lunch menu for one of the places I recommended above:

http://www.kroenner.com/02-8.htm

It will give you some idea of the prices. Note that things will be more expensive at dinner time (one reason to make your largest meal at lunch), and that this is an inexpensive restaurant.

The menu will also get you started in researching German food!

You can also find big, filling sandwiches for around 5 E at most bakeries and little kiosks.

And again, don't forget about using grocery stores in town to buy prepared food or bread, cheese, ham, yogurt, wine, etc. You can buy stuff for two days for about 20E.

Have fun!

s

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to eat good and cheap in garmisch?

Hi again,

Here's a link to another restaurant's menu:

www.mohrenplatz-garmisch.de/page/speisekarte

to give you more ideas.

s

Florida
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to eat good and cheap in garmisch?

we always love to go to Oberammergau and eat lunch at a butcher shop, they have great lunch time specials. It is more of a local thing and we were more than happy to follow the locals. I think many of the butchers do this. The prices for roasted pork, pureed potatoes and veggies were less than 6 euro, we have brats and frittes for 4.00. It was very good. We eat in Partenkirchen at ludwigs. Very reasonable, get the daily specials.

robandkimmeek
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: where to eat good and cheap in garmisch?

Just read the Trip Advisor reviews! This place serves up typical Bavarian fare and has live Bavarian style entertainment thrown in. Words to the wise - when ordering a meal try to order one course at a time. We ordered a starter and a main course together and then struggled to eat the main course because the starter was so big. It is also wise to reserve a table as it gets full very quickly most nights. Excellent value for money and probably our favourite place to eat in GaP :-D

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187302-…

Get answers to your questions about Garmisch-Partenkirchen