We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Garmisch to Salzburg (No Car rentals)

Baltimore, Maryland...
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
From Garmisch to Salzburg (No Car rentals)

I want to travel from Garmisch Parten-Kirchen to Salzburg for a day trip. Seems like all the trains take me to Munich first. That is too much time waster for me. Is there another way? Like a bus or direct train that I do not know about?

Thanks

LB

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,222 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Garmisch to Salzburg (No Car rentals)

Hi Lord-Baltimore,

That's the fastest way by public transport. You could go to Innsbruck and then from there to Salzburg, but it takes longer.

If you use the German rail site at

www.bahn.de

it will give you all of the possiblte connections, either bus or train.

Have fun!

s

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,937 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Garmisch to Salzburg (No Car rentals)

>I want to travel from Garmisch Parten-Kirchen to Salzburg for a day trip. Seems like all the trains take me to Munich first.

Well, that's the way Bavarian public transportation is laid out - centered on the state's capital. Strange, isn't it?

>That is too much time waster for me. Is there another way? Like a bus or direct train that I do not know about?

what does www.bahn.de say on that matter?

Edited: 17 February 2010, 18:35
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,529 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Garmisch to Salzburg (No Car rentals)

DB timetable suggests automatically the fastest route. And there are few things the DB timetable does not know about (has e.g. even the boats on lake Chiemsee).

The route (west-east) from Garmisch to Salzburg through the Alps and pre-Alps is full of valleys in north-south direction. That's why the railroads there are all run also in north-south directions (most as branch lines).

railroad map Bavaria

bayerntakt.de/media/…Netzkarte_Gesamt0608.pdf

The first option to bypass Munich would have been to built a railway line between Tutzing and Holzkirchen. But this would shorten the whole route only a bit.

Also a route planer for a car will suggest basically the same route, i.e. first northbound and than at the foot of the pre-Alps the route Holzkirchen - Rosenheim - Salzburg.

dubai
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Garmisch to Salzburg (No Car rentals)

Would driving (rental car from Germany) from Garmisch to Salzburg be better than going Garmisch-Munich-Salzburg by train? There seems to be no option but go via Munich to Salzburg. Any suggestion/advise?

If we drive rental car from Germany into Austria as tourists, is there any other requirement that we need to have as drivers/on the car?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,529 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Garmisch to Salzburg (No Car rentals)

If you have 1-3 days for this trip rent a car and follow the German Alpine Road towards Berchtesgaden/Salzburg.

If you just want to get from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Salzburg a car won't pay for. Travel time on the fastest route is 2 hours. The autobahn A8 is also the main route from Germany to Austria and beyond. Which means that traffic jams during the vacation time are not unlikely.

If you return in Austria you have to calculate with a steep international drop off fee. You could return in Freilassing (just across the border) or Berchtesgaden. From both towns you have trains and buses to Salzburg.

For the Austrian autobahns you need a vignette (toll sticker). It is not impossible to avoid the Austrian autobahns as Salzburg is just across the border. But you land easier on one as you may think. And the Austrian police is strict on such things. As on an the International Drivers Permit which is required. Buying a vignette or avoiding the autobahns in Austria needs also time. As getting and returning the rental car.

Thus you won't be in the end that much faster than by train. 3 h 38 min with regional trains. Hourly connections. And using them you can use the Bayern Ticket. EUR 28,00 for 2-5 persons. Less than the fuel will cost you alone from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Salzburg.

dubai
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From Garmisch to Salzburg (No Car rentals)

Thank you for your reply.

We were planning to use trains for our below itinerary but then I understood from internet that the public transport between Neuschwanstein (i.e. Fussen) to Obermmagau via Linderhof Castle is not that simple if we have say only 2 days between the both castles-viewing and also staying 1 night Obermmagau. Therefore, we decided to rent a car from Munich.

Our plan is:

Day 1 Drive rental car from Munich to Fussen.1200 hrs-visit Neuschwanst. C.

Day 2 Drive Fussen to Linderhof C. - view - then stay night in Obermmagau.

Day 3 Drive Obermmagau to Garmisch-P, to take cog wheel/cable to Zugspitez summit. Be back at Garmisch-P at around 1300 hrs.

Drop off rental car in Garmisch-P ? and take train Garmisch-P to Salzburg departing Garmisch at 1400 hrs.

Now, if we know for sure that the above points (Fussen-Linderhoff-Oberamaggau) could be done very well on public transport then we would not like to take rental car at all.

But, I'm finding it a bit difficult to plan these 3 days using public transport.

Any suggestion/advice is welcome please.

Thanks again.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,529 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From Garmisch to Salzburg (No Car rentals)

Day 1 and Day 3 are easy by public transport. Between Füssen/Hohenschwangau and Oberammergau there are few connections, as both areas belong to different regions, i.e. on which level the buses are coordinated. At a few connections you have to even change buses at "Echelsbacher Brücke" (Echelsbach Bridge - not on the bridge itself of course, but a bus stop next to it) which marks the border between both regions.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Echelsbacher_Br%C3%BCcke

map bus network Füssen area

rvo-bus.de/site/…liniennetz__ovg.pdf

map buses and trains in the Werdenfelser Land (Oberammergau, Garmisch)

bahn.de/regional/view/mdb/alle/dbregio/ausfl…

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Fuessen

To: Hohenschwangau (the bus stop for Neuschwanstein)

To: Oberammergau

To: Linderhof Schoss

To: Zugspitze Bf Zugspitzblatt (the end station of the cogwheel train)

To: Eibsee Zugspitzbahn (the valley station of the cable car)

and select as means of transport "only local transport"

dubai
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: From Garmisch to Salzburg (No Car rentals)

I'm considering flipping the itinerary over i.e.

Munich-Salzburg by train. stay 2 nights Salzburg. Visit Eagles Nest/Kongisee lake tour on either a Sunday or a Monday. Is the nest open on a Sunday or Monday?

Day 3 Salzburg-Obermaggau morning - by public transport (bus) - it takes 4 hours... hows the journey as such? i.e. would we be able to go visit the Linderhoff Castle that same afternoon. Then stay night either in Obermaggau or Garmisch-P. Does it look doable?

Day 4 Obermaggau-Garmisch-P to Zugspits next morning 8.30ish. Return back to Garmisch station by 1 PM to pick up bag from hotel and train to Fussen 3 hours journey 1437/1753 hrs.

Stay the night in Fussen.

Day 5 Fussen-Neuschwanstein morning & other castle next to it. Return to accommodation, pick up bag & go to Fussen station to catch train to Munich Fussen/Munich 1605/1807.

Would the 4 hours Salzburg/Oberamaggau & 3 hours Oberamaggau/Fussen journies on consecutive days + sightseeing mountain and all - be rattling or is it easily doable? We are restricted to 5 days only and really want to avoid driving.

Presume Neuschw, Linderhoff castles, zugspitez cog/cable & eagles nest are open daily as it seems so from the websites.

Thanks for all the websites on the trains/buses, its really very helpful.

dubai
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: From Garmisch to Salzburg (No Car rentals)

Hi Abalada,

Just a note to thank you for sending the DB Bahn websites and RVA OVG schedules. This truly helped us in our recent trip to Germany. We covered Munich/Salzburg/Garmisch-P (including Zugspitez/Oberammagau) and Fussen with both the castles in 8 days.

Thanks to the precise information sent by you, we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday on our own in these beautiful places using the excellent and highly punctual dependable public transport.

Sincerely

Baks

10. Re: From Garmisch to Salzburg (No Car rentals)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2011, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Garmisch-Partenkirchen