We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Garmisch -P

singapore
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Garmisch -P

Hi We will be staying in Fuessen and thought of making a trip to GP. Other than the Zugspitze what attractions are there? Is a full day too much? ie from 10am ....??

From GP we are going to make our way back to Munich to stay for 3 nights. Is there any facilities for luggage storage? We do not want to back track to Fuessen then Munich.

Any tips/advice appreciated. thanks

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,380 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Garmisch -P

There are luggage lockers at Garmsich-Partenkirchen train station.

Zugspitze alone needs nearly half a day. Another highlight is the Partnach Gorge.

http://www.gapa.de/Sights

singapore
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Garmisch -P

Thanks abalada. You are an angel! BTW from Fussen to Garmisch -P would it be better by bus or train ? If bus, what number, where and how much cost? And how long does it take. Still a bit hazy on this.

thanks

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,380 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Garmisch -P

Best is a combination of bus (Füssen to Reutte) and train (Reutte to Garmisch-Partenkirchen).

DB timetable

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en

To: Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Bus Füssen to Reutte is EUR 4,00 per person.

From Reutte to Garmisch-Partenkirchen you can use a Bayern Ticket. Very useful as it will cover also the trip to Munich later this day. Bayern Ticket is EUR 29 for 2-5 persons traveling together. You can buy it from ticket machines in Füssen. Bayern Ticket gives you also a small discount for the Zugspitze tickets. And Bayern Ticket covers not just the regional trains to Munich, but also the S-Bahn, U-Bahn, trams and buses there.

There is a bus departing at 08:00 (Su 08:05) from Füssen to Reutte. Train departure in Reutte is past 9am - which is nice as the Bayern Ticket is on weekdays only valid past 9am.

Edited: 13 April 2011, 11:24
singapore
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Garmisch -P

THANKS abalada. you make my day. Was trying for days to get info Should have ask you days ago. Yes.. I am going to enjoy my trip.

BTW what is your opinion of the dachstein ice cave. Is it that difficult to walk ? I just have a hip replacement operation and worry I cannot walk up the steps.

thanks

Waco, Texas, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Garmisch -P

I am having the hardest time finding out exactly how I get from Linderhof castle to Neuschwanstein castle. We will be coming from Munich and want to do both in the same day via public transportation. Can someone spell it out for me?.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Garmisch -P

Linderhof isn't well served by public transportation. Here's the only thing I've been able to find about getting between Linderhof and Neuschwanstein. Don't know if it's possible to see both in one day. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187316-i951-k3172…

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,132 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Garmisch -P

Hi Linda D,

Actually Linderhof *is* well served by public transport -- the regional busses run by the German rail go there, and the stop for the castle is "Linderhof Schloss, Ettal."

You can use the German rail site to find your connection -- the sit is at

www.bahn.com

and you would enter

From Linderhof Schloss, Ettal

To Hohenschwangau, Schwangau (Schlösser)

Basically, the trip takes about 3h, with 2 or 4 changes (in Oberammergau and Rottenbuch, or Oberammergau, Garmisch, Ruette, and Füssen).

But I do agree with emilysmom above -- I don't think it would be a good idea to try to see both in one day as a day-trip from München. Just too far to go.

Have fun as you plan!

s

8. Re: Day trip to Garmisch -P

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2013, 07:15