We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
570 posts
207 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner

Can anyone recommend a place for dinner and music in Garmish. Also a place with outdoor seating that has a good selection of beers.

Thank you :))

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
425 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner

If you mean a traditional Bavarian Dinner and Music, the best I have found is this:

http://www.gasthof-fraundorfer.de/

Very fun place and great food, make a reservation and if you like pork ask about having their Schweinhaxen (pork shoulder), wonderful, cooked all day roasting in its own juices! I have met a lot of fun people the two times I have been there. Not sure about their outside though, my other two times have been in Winter.

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
570 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner

Sounds good thanks :))

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner

Frauendorfer is indeed great fun. It's on the Partinkirchen side of town. There is no outdoor seating and you will need a reservation. If you are a small party (2 - 4) you will likely be seated at larger table with other guests, which usually is a completely delightful experience as you will be able to make some new friends! (well, at least for the evening).

The food is fine, although nothing memorable. You go to Frauendorfer for the deep Bavaria experience. The slap dancing youngsters are a huge hit. The Gemütlichkeit is off the charts.

IMO, if you are in G-P area, (and I've been there many times) the Frauendorfer is one of the "do not miss" experiences.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner

Re: Frauendorfer. Definitely make reservations, because the place is packed. It's cool for a first-time visitor, but looking back it's the most kitsch thing ever, especially after living here awhile.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner

Definitely kitschy, but that's part of the fun! We usually go back every time we go to G-P but I would imagine you wouldn't want to go every week if you lived there :-) (Lucky you living there, by the way. . .)

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
570 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner

Thanks everyone. My wife and I are looking forward to going there.

:))

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
323 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner

So glad I found this post! We will be in G-P later this month and this sounds like a lot of fun.

Is the dancing/entertainment all night or should we make reservations for a specific time?

Thanks!

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner

If memory serves, they do the dancing a couple of times in the evening. I'd make a reservation for 7:00 pm. They do the first round at either 7 or 8 so with a 7:00 seating you will be safe either way! Be aware that seating is communal, which is a lot of the fun as well. Here's the website: gasthof-fraundorfer.de/english/restaurant.php

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
323 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner

I just returned from our trip to Germany and wanted to provide a few other details for future travelers:

The show began at roughly 7:30pm and continued at least until we left around 9:15. The dancing is intermittent (about 3 or 4 performances of one song each) but with live music throughout the evening. It was a lovely show, with okay food, and in our case, great company at a shared table. Service was slow and I'd even categorize it as inattentive (even by European standards) but that was okay given the distraction of music!

10. Re: Dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2012, 00:15