We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a white xmas

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
a white xmas

We are considering visiting and staying in Garmisch-Partenkirchen for Christmas in 2013...are we guaranteed snow and would this be a good place for a group of people to spend a few days in December? We would be travelling by rail and visiting amongst other things the Christmas Markets.

Mary B

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,163 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a white xmas

Hi mary b,

Yes, Garmisch-Partenkirchen is a *terrific* idea for a group of folks in December, but sadly, no, snow is not guaranteed.

We had great snow this year at Christmas, and a few years ago we also had a wonderful white Christmas. But it's always possible that we won't get any, or that we'll get it early and then it will melt. There is simply no way to tell in advance.

But if you want to be in the right place in case you get the snowfall, then Garmisch would be it!

If you want a more snow-sure destination, you could consider the Engadin Valley or Zermatt, both in Switzerland. However, both are expensive (as is all of Switzerland), and many Zermatt hotels require a full week's stay over Christmas. However, Christmas markets are not the same in Switzerland as they are in Germany, so you may have to make a choice.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a white xmas

Thank you so much for the information....I think I might still take the risk! It sounds such a lovely place...I may come back to for more information closer in if that is ok??

Thanks again

MaryB

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,163 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a white xmas

Yes, we'd all love to hear from you again as your plans progress!

I do agree -- even in a "bad" snow year, the lights and the mountains and the decorations are really pretty here.

s

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
346 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a white xmas

Mary, we just got back from Europe, and we spent our Christmas in Garmish. We arrived on the 23rd, and while there was some snow on the ground, it did not snow on us while we were there. Garmish is absolutely beautiful, and you will love spending Christmas there. The mountains all had snow on them, and obviously the ski slopes. The main area of town is full of wonderful shops, restaurants, etc. The stores (except for the souvenier shops are closed on Sunday, and most all the stores and restaurants closed by 1pm on Christmas Eve. Plan accordingly. If you are looking for hotel options, look at the Edelweiss Hotel. It is everything people on trip advisor says it is and more. The place was lovely, the nicest place we stayed in on our trip, and the owners wonderful hosts. You will love it. Good luck! Christmas in Garmish is a great choice.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a white xmas

Thank you so much for the information ....it is all really helpful and confirming my choice of Garmisch!d!

i can hardly wait.

MaryB

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: a white xmas

Hi Mary

I was in Garmisch from 12-15 December. The town was covered in snow as it snowed earlier that week and although the sun was shining while I was there, it did not really melt as yet and it was gorgeous. Garmisch is a wonderful town, very pretty. The Christmas market is fairly small though - the best markets I saw on my trip were Nuremberg and Munich. I stayed at Hotel Garmischer hof which I really liked.

Whilst there you can take the train to Zugspitze. Make sure you get off the train at Eibensee and take the cable car, as its much more scenic. Its included in the price of your ticket, you can choose which way you go up. You can also visit Neuschwanstein from Garmisch although it will take almost 2 hours by bus. Its worth it however.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a white xmas

Once again thank you so much for the information....I love hearing everyones experiences...and can't wait to enjoy some of those things for ourselves!

Thanks again

MaryB

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a white xmas

Ian in Garmisch at he moment and there is no fresh snow in the town and we didn't have a very white Christmas or New Year. There is plenty of snow on the mountains though. We were here at the same time I'm 2010 and the town was covered in snow with regular snow showers.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
951 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a white xmas

Mary, even if you don't get snow, it's got to be better than being in Adelaide this time of year....44C today everyone.....

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: a white xmas

thanks ozzie....I couldn't agree more!!