We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avis Rental Car Selection

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Avis Rental Car Selection

We're considering booking our rental car from Avis (most likely through AutoEurope or Gamut) in Garmisch rather than Munich, and I wondered if anyone could comment on the selection of rental cars available at the Garmisch office vs that of the Munich offices. There is enough of a price difference to pay for our train tickets (and then some), but I want to make sure we can get the car we want if we decide to rent in Garmisch instead of Munich. Any info would be most welcome. TIA.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avis Rental Car Selection

WE picked up our car at Avis at Frankfurt airport, intending to return it at Garmisch Partenkirchen, but we ended up keeping it all the way to Munich. It was just great to have the freedom.

The office in Garmisch is tiny, it is through an agent. Presumably if you book ahead, they will have the car you want, but there was almost nothing there the day we went to the office.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 21:27
United States
Level Contributor
67 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avis Rental Car Selection

If you pick up your car at a location other than the airport or train station -- you should get the best and same rate regardless of location. Downtown Munich station should be the same as non-train station Garmisch location; price difference should be zero.

Regarding selection, if you book in advance Avis should have a car in the matching category for you.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avis Rental Car Selection

Having booked car at a small location(withHertz) on arrival there was no car! He said he could get me a car later but a Baby Ford inplace of the booked BMW 5 series. Now will only use bigger offices. There are many offices in Munich not in the Main station, but a short distance fron other staions

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avis Rental Car Selection

It is always a gamble. We ordered a car in Florence, ordered an auto, but got a manual. In Rome, got the auto but our "non smoking" car reaked of cigarette smoke. In Edinburgh, exactly what we ordered! In Frankfurt, ordered an auto, they had none in the class we wanted, so they upgraded us to a Volvo which was a nice surprise. All of this through Avis, booking well in advance. I think it is always a bit risky, but I would also stick to the bigger offices.

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avis Rental Car Selection

Thanks for all the input. We had a similar experience renting from Hertz in Bayeux, France-the office was an agent (actually a Total petrol station), and even though we booked several months in advance (through AutoEurope), we ended up with an SUV-type car despite booking a compact-okay for that trip, but this time I need to make sure we get an auto trans since I am sharing driving with others in the group who can't drive a manual. I found an Avis office near the Ostbahnhof station that is apparently free of the rail station surcharge (prices out the same as the Garmisch office even though it is just down the street from the station) and is also open on Sundays, but only from 9 AM to 10 AM, which seems rather a short amount of time to be open-I wonder if that is an error on the office details?

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avis Rental Car Selection

The office at Garmisch-Partenkirchen only had very limited hours on the weekend. We went past a couple of times, before we decided to keep the car, and it was never open, but it is really just a little office.

At Frankfurt, when telling us they didn't have an auto, the lady told me "you must book in advance if you want an automatic". Well we did book in advance, well in advance. Anyway, they then upgraded us to the Volvo (an automatic) at no cost to us so we were happy. It was a beautiful car. Good luck, I hope you get the car you need.

7. Re: Avis Rental Car Selection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Garmisch-Partenkirchen