We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area of GP to stay for short ski trip?

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
385 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Best area of GP to stay for short ski trip?

I am planning a trip for our family of 6 to spend a few nights in Garmisch-Partenkirchen skiing in Dec 2014. This is one part of a 3 week trip to Munich and Italy.

There will be some skiers (beginner and experienced), snow boarders and non-skiers (aged 16-53).

We are from Australia and so looking forward to the whole 'White Christmas' thing; a first for all of us.

Having decided to stay in GP and preferring to find a 3 b/r apartment, is there one area that might be best for us to search for our stay please?

Skiers will want as easy access as possible to slopes and non skiers to GP town and beyond and to transport for sight-seeing. We will be using public transport. Access to cafe/restaurants would be a help too.

I'm not sure whether the best compromise is to stay 'in GP town' or closer to the slopes.

Thanks for any advice.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,063 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area of GP to stay for short ski trip?

Hi Aussieholiday,

Your best option is to stay near the train station.

Skiers can access the Zugspitze from the Zugspitzbahnhof, which is just behind the town's regular train station. In addition, they can take the free ski bus from the train station to the Hausberg lift to access the Garmisch Classic ski area, or they can take the town bus #2 to the Kreuzeck cable car, also to access the Classic ski area.

The main part of town with all the shops, cafes, and restaurants is on the pedestrian path between the Kongresshaus and Marienplatz (you may want to look this up at google maps). Many apartments will be located between this part of town and the train station, and that would be a good option for you. You can generally walk from the train station to this central part of town in about 5 minutes.

If you use the town's central reservation site at

www.gapa.de

all the centrally-located apartments will have a symbol showing they are central -- it's a dot inside a square. I think I would start looking now, just to familiarize myself with which apartments are where. You can also verify each apartment's location using google maps -- I always do this since my idea of "central" may not be the same as the apartment's owners.

Also, do come back and ask about specific apartments, and we can give you our opinions of each one.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Australia
Level Contributor
385 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area of GP to stay for short ski trip?

Thank you swandav for such a quick reply!

That is most helpful.

I'm on to it now!

Ballina, Ireland
Level Contributor
639 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area of GP to stay for short ski trip?

We went to GP just after Christmas last year, we stayed in this hotel, which was very close to the trainstation and it was easy to get to most of the areas on foot, . It might have three rooms that you can share. tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g187302-d234083-…

It is a busy time that you are going, so it will be difficult to get somewhere to stay. We are booked here for a few days in the new year, it suits us as there are six of us . The owner may have a few days free.

www.homeaway.co.uk/p824675…

4. Re: Best area of GP to stay for short ski trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Garmisch-Partenkirchen