We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fussen vs. Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
20 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Fussen vs. Garmisch-Partenkirchen

We will have one or two nights in early June to stay in the area of the Neuschwanstein Castle after driving down the Romantic Road from Frankfurt en route to Switzerland. Is it better to stay in Fussen or Garmisch-Partenkirchen? Fussen is closer to the castle but we have heard great things about Garmisch. Thoughts?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fussen vs. Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Hi,

Fuessen is just a few minutes away from the castles. Garmisch about an hour. I'll probably be in the minority here, but we were never keen on Garmisch, but really liked Fuessen, enough to stay on 2 different trips. Near Garmisch, we prefer staying in Mittenwald and have stayed there on 2 different trips. That's just our preference. If you wind up staying just 1 night, I'd certainly go with Fuessen, as you can get to the castles first thing in the morning. When you have your itinerary set, it would be wise to reserve tickets for Neuschwanstein in advance, as it gets very crowded. If you have 2 nights or are passing by it, include a tour of Ludwig's Linderhof Palace, which is even better then Neuschwanstein, as far as the interior goes. Just my opinion.

Don't miss doing the luge ride (Sommerrodelbahn) at either Garmisch or Tegelberg (maybe a mile from Neuschwanstein), a lot of fun.

By the way, the Romantic Road itself is neither romantic nor particularly scenic. Just a ordinary road that has a few worthwhile towns along it.

Paul

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
20 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fussen vs. Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Thanks for the good advice. We will plan to stay in Fuessen. I suspected the Romantic Road was a tourist marketing scheme. We wanted to stay in Rothenburg on our way to Fuessen but everything is booked so we are staying in Nordlingen instead so that we can have a walled city experience. Is this a good plan?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fussen vs. Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Didn't visit Nordlingen, but we stayed at a very nice place just 10 min. outside of Rothenburg. By the way, we loved Rothenburg. The Nightwatchman Tour at 8pm was one of the highlights, if not THE highlight of or stay there.

www.gasthof-rappen.de/zum-rappen-en.html

www.nightwatchman.de/index.php…

In Fuessen we stayed twice at:

www.hotel-hechten.com

Paul

Edited: 02 March 2014, 17:38
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fussen vs. Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Nordlingen is great to visit for it's fully intact town wall, but personally I didn't think it was as pretty as Rothenburg or Dinkelsbuhl. We also loved Rothenburg, but we were there in winter and it was very quiet. Personally I found the Night Watchman's tour too "Disney" and was a bit disappointed with it, but I would not discourage you from doing it.

Fussen is a lovely place and we stayed 2 nights there, but I have had 2 longer stays in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and really love the place. You really can't loose, both are great places to stay.

Edited: 02 March 2014, 21:13
Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fussen vs. Garmisch-Partenkirchen

I think the advice to spend the night in Fuessen, then have reserved tickets for early the next morning for Neuschwanstein is great. The line for same-day tickets starts to build by 7 in the morning and is usually out the door by 9. The line for tickets already reserved is very short.

Fuessen is a nice town. If you have a car, also try to see the amazing rococo wonder Wieskirche nearby. It's on the UNESCO World Heritage List.

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fussen vs. Garmisch-Partenkirchen

I agree with pretty much everything pja60 said:

“I'll probably be in the minority here, but we were never keen on Garmisch, but really liked Füssen” – I’m in the same minority.

“Near Garmisch, we prefer staying in Mittenwald” – Me too, we stay at the Hotel Aplenrose which has a fantastic location.

hotel-alpenrose-mittenwald.de/english/index.…

“If you wind up staying just 1 night, I'd certainly go with Füssen, as you can get to the castles first thing in the morning. When you have your itinerary set, it would be wise to reserve tickets for Neuschwanstein in advance, as it gets very crowded.” – This would be my recommendation too. In Füssen we stay at the Hotel Zum Hechten (which I believe is also pja60’s hotel of choice there) which has a great location.

http://www.hotel-hechten.com/en-index.html

Have fun planning!!!

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
20 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fussen vs. Garmisch-Partenkirchen

To everyone that has been posting responses to our questions, thank you. This is the first time we have used the Trip Advisor forum option and are thankful to get the real life experience responses. Please keep them coming. While your at it, please let us know how you feel about visiting Salzburg, Austria after we leave the southern Germany area. We will be en route to Switzerland for a few nights. My wife is concerned that we will be in the car too much for this short 8 night trip if we go too far east in Austria. When I look at the map, I want to "try to do it all" and everything looks so close compared to where we live in the states. We thought for sure we would stop in Innsbruck on our way to Switzerland but wanted to hear other thoughts. Is Salzburg a place not to miss since we will be so close? We will have more opportunities in future years I suspect if we can't fit it in this trip. Thank you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fussen vs. Garmisch-Partenkirchen

I think you're spreading yourself way too thin for 8 nights.

Frankfurt, Romantic Road, Fuessen, maybe Salzburg, Innsbruck, Switzerland, etc.

With 8 nights I'd limit the trip between Frankfurt and as far as Fuessen or Salzburg. Might as well experience a couple of the places you traveled so far to see, in other words quality over quantity.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fussen vs. Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Do not mean to hijack this message in any way but we are also going to do a Salzburg/Bavaria trip this summer and are figuring out where we would like to stay (Garmisch v Mittenwald) as a base to do the Zugspitze and then the castles. We have two small boys (8 and 5) so we require family accommodations. I will check into the Mittenwald Gasthof mentioned as a possible option for us.

To chime in on your question though, I grew up going to Salzburg on vacations and absolutely loved it, it has charm and a romanticism that I found lacking in Innsbruck.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
430 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fussen vs. Garmisch-Partenkirchen

for the time you have I think Salzburg is just too far out of the way when you have so much to see around you. I would stick with Innsbruck, as it is close to where you will be. That is my opinion anyway. It is an amazing town just might not be worth the drive based off of your itinerary.

I have stayed in both Garmisch and Mittenwald, I would say Mittenwald is better for a quaint town, Garmisch certainly will have a few more things to do in the evening. Either way if you want a great Bavarian experience for dinner go to Geusthaus Frauendorfer for dinner. Great food, bavarian song and dance and a great atmosphere. Mittenwald just has more Bavarian Charm.

Get answers to your questions about Garmisch-Partenkirchen