We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

munchen to zugspitze

Pune, India
9 posts
Save Topic
munchen to zugspitze

How much would a one day budget trip to zugspitze from munich cost?Which mode of transport would save both on time and money?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: munchen to zugspitze

1 person?

Train to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and back: Bayern Ticket EUR 23,00

bahn.de/i/…bavaria-ticket.shtml

Zugspitze round trip ticket

Winter (till 4th. May 2014): EUR 41,50

zugspitze.de/en/…fussgaenger

Summer: EUR 50,00

zugspitze.de/en/summer/preise/zugspitze

Bayern Ticket will get you a 10% discount on the Zugspitze ticket prices.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: munchen to zugspitze

Wait, is it really 50 euros to take the Zugspitze train and back? That seems very expensive to me. Maybe I just really underestimated my expectations.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: munchen to zugspitze

For the Alps not really expensive.

E.g. a comparable round trip by train and cable car from Interlaken to the Schilthorn (2.970 m) is CHF 121,80 (~ EUR 100).

An alternative is the Karwendelbahn cable car at Mittenwald. Mittenwald is at the same train line like Garmisch-Partenkirchen but higher and deeper in the Alps. And the nicer town.

www.alpenwelt-karwendel.de/en/mittenwald

www.karwendelbahn.de/page/en/startseite

Not as high (2.244 m) as the Zugspitze (2.960 m) but still already High Alpine with nice views.

Return ticket is EUR 24,00. Family return ticket (2 adults and all children under 18 years) is EUR 49,00.

While you need more time to Mittenwald you'll be still faster on the mountain station of the Karwendelbahn cable car.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: munchen to zugspitze

Hi canaamn,

Yes, that's the real price, and it's extremely reasonable compared to some others as abalada notes. That's one reason why it's essential to check the weather and the live webcams before you ascend -- it's not fun to spend all that money and then find yourself standing inside a cloud.

I think you'll feel better about the price once you see the incredible engineering that went into tunneling up the mountain; there continue to be high costs for maintenance and safety updates, of course.

Oh, you can always do it for free -- there is a hiking path up that takes about 8h ; ))

s

5. Re: munchen to zugspitze

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Garmisch-Partenkirchen