We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic view route from Garmisch to Zurich

Al Ahsa, Saudi...
10 posts
Save Topic
Scenic view route from Garmisch to Zurich

Hi

I am driving with friends mid-May from Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany Zurich, Switzerland planning to reach Zurich same day before sunset . What is the best Scenic view road to follow and what are the most beautiful places to visit on my way? Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Atelier Restaurant & Bar
££ - £££, German, Seafood, International
Schloderer Bierstuberl
££ - £££, German, European, Central European
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic view route from Garmisch to Zurich

I can't say much about it, but take this into consideration as well: http://wikitravel.org/en/Switzerland#By_car_2

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Level Contributor
53 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic view route from Garmisch to Zurich

You could start by traveling to Oberammergau then visit Schloss Linderhof then carry onto Neuschwanstein traveling past the beautiful lake Plannsee.You then travell to Ludwig's Castle at Neuschwanstein.After this the town of Fuessen is also worth a visit.

You then get onto the Freeway to Switzerland!

Hope you have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Oberammergau
Oberammergau
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic view route from Garmisch to Zurich

If you are limited to one day drikving, then Garmisch - German B-23 to Austrian border and on the Austrian 187to Lermoos, 179 (Fernpass) to Nassereit, 199 to the road paralelling the A-12 autobahn, to Landeck. Unless you have an Austrian Autobahn toll sticker (called a Vignette) , stay off the autobahn. Instead, take the very scenic Silvretta Hochstrasse (Route 188) to Bludenz and again stay on the paralell road to the Autobahn to Feldkirch.There cross over to Switzerland. At thew border crossing buy a Visgnette for the Swiss autobahns . Get on the A-13 going north to the A-1 to Zuerich. .

If you have more time, at Feldkirch, get on the Swiss Autobahn A-13 going south. At the intersection with the A-13 autobahn, take it west as far as far as the Weesen exit, Head south on the Route 8 . In Schwyz, take th road to Brunnen, and follow)the Vierwaldstaetter See ( Lake Luzern) coastal road to Luzern. Overnight in Luzern or along the lake (I like Weggis), and then take the A-2 and A-3 to Zuerich.. This is all a very scenic drive.

Mentioned in this post
Lermoos
Lermoos
Tirol, Austria
Lake Luzern
Lake Luzern
4,380 Reviews
Lucerne, Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Al Ahsa, Saudi...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic view route from Garmisch to Zurich

Thank you for your support and advise

Which route you think is more beautiful? The route you recomended: Lermoos, Fernpass, Nassereit, Landeck, Bludenz , Feldkircht to Zurich or the the other route I was planning to drive: Lermoos, Oberammergau, Schloss Linderhof, Fussen, Konstanz, Schaffhausen (palnning to vist the waterfalls) to Zurich

Mentioned in this post
Lermoos
Lermoos
Tirol, Austria
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Oberammergau
Oberammergau
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Fussen
Fussen
Swabia, Germany
Konstanz
Konstanz
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic view route from Garmisch to Zurich

First of all, the route Leermoos, Oberammergau, etc.you are describing invol;ves some backtracking. Lermoose is west of G-P, Oberammergau north, then Linderhof to Fuesen would take you back to the road Lermoos -Fuessen. In other words, you should travel G-P Oberammergau, backtrack to Klostyer Ettal and head from there to Linderhof - Plansee - Fuessen.

One personal bias (I grew up not far from Fuessen): If you visit Linderhof (which is fun), I would skip visiting the Neuschwanstein in Fuessen. Just take a look at the the outsidefrom the Marienbrueckeor Alpsee. ,etc. The inside of the castle is really not worth the long time it takes. The as catles go, Neuschwanstein is a fake; it was built in the late 19th century..

On this route, you would travel Fuessen - Reutte, Weissenbach, Route 199 to Oberjoch, Hindelang - on the Alpenstrasse/Alpine Highway B-308 to Oberstaufen and Lindau, then .along the north shore of Lake Constance to Friedrichshafen and Meersburg.

At M. take the car ferry to Kostanz Staad, drop off the car in Kosntanz and take the train tro Zuerich

The Rhein Falls are quite a detour; not worth it in my opinion.

This is also a nice routing, except that except for the Weissenbach - Hindelang stretch it is mostly in the hill country below the alps. Lake Konstganz (Bodemnsee) is also pretty. Lindau is an old city on an island in the lake. If you are willing to spend the money and have the time, from the Friedrichafen airport ypou can take a sightseeing trip in oine of the new Zeppelins. Great views of the alps. Meersburg has one of the oldest castles one can visit in Germany. On the Konstanz-Staad side side of the car ferry ride is the Island of Mainau. It's the flower island, worth a visit..

I, personally, am a mountain guy. Thus, I like the route via Landeck - Bludenz, or better yet via Luzern. .

The "hill" route may have the advantag, though, that if you are driving a German rental car, you can drop it off in Konstanz and take the train from Konstanz to Zuerich. This would save you the substantial drop - off charge if you were to pick up a car in Germany and drop it off inSwiterland. Cross-border drop-offs are expensiove;. drop-offs in the same country where you picked up the car usually incur no drop-off charge.

Mentioned in this post
Oberammergau
Oberammergau
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Lermoos
Lermoos
Tirol, Austria
Plansee
Plansee
99 Reviews
Tirol, Austria
Alpsee
Alpsee
143 Reviews
Bavaria, Germany
Oberstaufen
Oberstaufen
Swabia, Germany
Lindau
Lindau
Swabia, Germany
Friedrichshafen
Friedrichshafen
Meersburg (Bodensee)
Meersburg (Bodensee)
Germany
Germany
Europe
Konstanz
Konstanz
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic view route from Garmisch to Zurich

Sorry for the typos. The "edit" phase cut out before I was finished with my corrections.

7. Re: Scenic view route from Garmisch to Zurich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 06:16