We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Zugspitze

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to Zugspitze

Hi friends - Myself and my family of 4 are planning to visit Zugspitze during 3rd week of May basically to enjoy the views and the snow. Please help me with the following questions that I have: -

1. Will there be snow on the top during 22/ 23/ 24 May?

2. I will keep a chack on the weather but are there much chances that the cable car to the very top can get suspended during these days?

3. Is it possible to rent out appropriate shoes for the snow at the top? If so, how much does it cost? We could do this at Titisee.

4. Any prefered time fo the day for this visit? I mean would forennon be better than afternoon?

Thank you.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Zugspitze

Hi sats c,

1. Yes, there should still be snow at the top. You can check the webcams to see what the conditions are like:

zugspitze.de/de/…panoramakameras

You should also check before you pay for/get on the train up to the top to make sure it's still clear.

2. It's very rare that the cable car to the top isn't running -- it can happen due to high winds. I've lived here for 5 years, and I only know of it happening a couple of times.

3. I don't know of anyplace that rents out hiking shoes, sorry.

4. Best time is in the morning before it turns cloudy. I'd say get here as early as you can.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Zugspitze

Great, thanks a lot Swandav.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Zugspitze

Another couple of questions: -

1. Our intention is is play around a bit on the snow on top. Hope that will be possible?

2. Are there any other means of ammusement/ entertainment on top?

3. From Garmish station, I was told that the ticket to the very top (round way ticket) is Euro 50 per head. Is there a concession for a family of 4?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Zugspitze

Hi again,

1. I haven't been up to the very top in ages, so I just don't know. Use the webcams to see what's up there.

2. No, I don't think so. There are some telescopes, etc. There is a restaurant at the Platte and also one at the summit. Both restaurants have outdoor seating areas -- many folks like to sit in the sun, enjoy a beer or coffee and cake, and soak up the views.

3. If your children are 18 years old or younger, the price for all 4 of you is 120 € (2 adults, 2 children):

zugspitze.de/en/summer/preise/zugspitze

s

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Zugspitze

Thanks again. My children are (1) 14 years 1 month and (2) 18 years 6 months old. Will that help me get reduced fare tickets?

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to Zugspitze

I just read in the website - Rail replacement service from 5th to 30th May 2014. Replacement services (buses) will be in operation between Grainau and Eibsee stations during this period. The cogwheel train for ascents to the Zugspitze will be in operation as of Eibsee Station. The scheduled service between the Zugspitze-Station-Garmisch and Grainau Station will operate according to plan.

Does this mean I can still use the cogwheel train from Garmisch to the Glacier? It is not working only to and from Eibsee?

How comfortable and safe are the buses which are being used as replacement?

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,155 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit to Zugspitze

I think that -of all countries in the world- the ones I'd have least concern over safety of buses would be Germany and Switzerland.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit to Zugspitze

Hi again,

"My children are (1) 14 years 1 month and (2) 18 years 6 months old. Will that help me get reduced fare tickets?"

If you look at the site that I linked above, you'll see that your child will need an ID for this reduction. If s/he is 19 years old on the day you purchase the tickets, s/he will have to buy an adult fare. If s/he is 18 years 11 months (or 18 years and 6 months), s/he will be able to be part of the discount.

"Does this mean I can still use the cogwheel train from Garmisch to the Glacier? It is not working only to and from Eibsee?

How comfortable and safe are the buses which are being used as replacement?"

There is construction work on the platforms and the rails between Grainau and the Eibsee. You'll be on a replacement bus from Garmisch to the Eibsee, where you can get on the train to the Platt.

Not sure about your question about safety and comfort on the busses. The ride is about 30 minutes long. Of course, they are as safe as any town or Eibsee bus; you may know that German engineers are pretty well renown. They won't put you on a rickety old bus with worn brakes and bald tires. The busses are as comfortable as big busses are.

s

s

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit to Zugspitze

Thank you, ethelman2 and Swandav.

10. Re: Visit to Zugspitze

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 05:16