We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to park for the day - nicest part of town

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
471 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to park for the day - nicest part of town

Hello,

We are staying in Bad Hindelang (so so beautiful) but wanting to spend a day just in the town of Garmisch partenkirchen. We plan to do other short trips in the area over the next few days.

I would appreciate advice on the best place to park or situate ourselves to see the nicest part of town.

Thanking you.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to park for the day - nicest part of town

Hi warners1,

Would you want to see any peaks?

If so, you could get to the viewing platform of the Alpspitze easily:

zugspitze.de/en/…alpspix

As you leave the train station, cross the street and walk to the left until you come to the green bus stop. Get on bus #2 and go until the last bus stop, Kreuzeck. There are two cable car stations at that stop, Kreuzeck and Alpspitze. The bus stops at the Kreuzeck cable car, but cross the parking lot to get to the second cable car and ascend to the Alpspitze. It costs 25 € per person. Oh, the Bavaria Ticket isn't valid on the town busses, so you'll have to pay 1,50 € per person per trip (you board at the front of the bus and pay the driver).

If you want to ascend the Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain, then just go downstairs at the train station and follow the tunnel to the Zugspitzebahnhof (Zugspitze train station). Take the train up to the Zugspitze platt, and then the cable car up to the summit (50€ per person). From the summit, you can take the cable car all the way down to the bottom and end up at the Eibsee -- incredible views over the lake. Stroll around the lake (about 90 minutes) or have cake and coffee at the restaurant at the lake, then take the Eibsee Bus back to Garmisch (about 4,50 €).

If you'd like to stay at ground level, I recommend you stroll down Garmisch's pedestrian street. Just leave the train station and take a left, then walk to the end of that street and take another left. The pedestrian street is just a block or two in front of you. Walk down the pedestrian path. My favorite spot there is at the Restaurant Mohrenplatz

http://www.mohrenplatz-garmisch.de/

It has a large outdoor seating area, no cars in sight, and it's a great place to sit and people-watch. The food is good, too!

Have fun as you plan!

s

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
471 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to park for the day - nicest part of town

Hi Swandav,

Wow, what great service! As the weather doesn't look too good today, we thought we would leave Zugspitz until a fine day. We have 3 more days, so hopefully clearer weather.

We will stay in the town and thank you for the advice.

Can I just ask, we have a rental vehicle, so where do you suggest we park for easy access? Maybe I could put it into GPS.

Thank you again

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to park for the day - nicest part of town

Oh, I didn't know you have a car.

I think having a car in this region is a very bad idea -- I am so against it that I cannot help folks who drive here.

s

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,350 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to park for the day - nicest part of town

you will find large P signs indicating car parks. on street parking usually has limited hours.

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
471 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to park for the day - nicest part of town

Thank you both.

6. Re: Best place to park for the day - nicest part of town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 06:16