We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay -Garmish of Fussen/Neuschwanstein region

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay -Garmish of Fussen/Neuschwanstein region

Will be spending 5 days in Germany in August-arriving at Munich airport in the early afternoon. We also fly out from Munich on the 5th day and would like to spend a couple of days around the Alps region; maybe the Fussen / Garmish location for base?? Will be visiting Neuschwanstein, Oberammergau, Zugspitze, etc.Could anyone help with our route via public transport -train and itenary? Lodging recommendations would be helpful as well. Thanks

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,164 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay -Garmish of Fussen/Neuschwanstein region

Hi Jon482,

I've not been to Füssen, so I can't compare the charm of the two towns.

However, I can say that Garmisch is more convenient for Zugspitze and for Oberammergau/Linderhof. In addition, there is a direct (0 changes) bus daily from Garmisch to Füssen, and at other times, you would just have to change once, so it's quite easy.

What is your price preferance for hotels? Do you want to be central, or do you want to be on the quiet outskirts?

For all transportation schedules, see the German rail site at

www.bahn.com

Have fun as you plan!

s

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay -Garmish of Fussen/Neuschwanstein region

Hello,

I don't mean to hijack the post, but I have a very similar question. We will be visiting both places early next month. We decided to stay in Murnau am Staffelsee, since it close to Garmisch. But we also want to visit Fussen for a day (for Neuschwanstein castle). I found that even though the distance between Murnau and Fussen isn't much, it will take very long (2-3 hours) if I have to go by train or bus. You mentioned that there is a direct bus that goes to Fussen from Garmisch. Can you please tell me which bus it is? Does it also go through Murnau? If not, that is fine, as I can always take the train to Garmisch. What will be the fare for this bus one way for a single person? Thanks for the help.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,164 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay -Garmish of Fussen/Neuschwanstein region

Hi pinaki M,

You can find all of the options (trains and busses and trains/busses) for all routes at the German rail site

www.bahn.com

You'll see that there are various options you can take -- one journey at 2h07 with changes in Garmisch, Reutte, and Vils, one at 3h06 with changes in Garmisch and Reutte.

The direct bus from Garmisch leaves at 09.40 and arrives in Füssen at 11.55 (2h15 travel); it is bus # 9606. To catch that one, you'd have to leave Murnau at 08.28 and arrive in Garmisch at 08.54. I'm not sure why that connection doesn't show up when you input From Murnau to Füssen leaving at 08.00 . . . That bus doesn't go through Murnau, but it does go through Oberammergau.

You can see the fares also at the German rail site. The standard fare is 34.70 each way, so the Bavaria Ticket would work best for this route.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,164 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay -Garmish of Fussen/Neuschwanstein region

Oh, also --

If you decide to take the train at 08.28, you can't use the Bavaria Ticket -- it's only valid from 09.00 on week days. If you're travelling on a weekend or holiday, no problem. But if you want to do that on a weekday, just buy a standard ticket for the fare from Murnau to Garmisch, and use the Bavaria ticket for all travel for the rest of the day (i.e. after 09.00).

s

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay -Garmish of Fussen/Neuschwanstein region

Hello swandav, thanks for your reply. Yes I did check bahn.com for the options before posting my question. I have two comments regarding what you suggested. Firstly, the direct bus from Garmisch to Fussen may not be the best option for us as we would prefer to reach Fussen around 10am if possible. I found that there are bus options for that, but it needs transfer. I am a bit skeptical about transfer (there is just 5 mins in between), because if we miss it, then it might be a problem. Do you think the transfer will be a safe option? Secondly, the fare of 34.70 euros is valid if we only take train (no bus). If we take bus, then bahn.com does not give the fare for the part of the trip using bus. I did come across the website for the bus company, but it's in German, so I couldn't read it. Will you be able to tell me what will be the fare if we take bus? Thanks!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,164 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay -Garmish of Fussen/Neuschwanstein region

Hi again,

I don't think I'm seeing what you're seeing.

I just input a query at bahn.com:

From Murnau

To Fuessen

Arrive: 10.00

It shows a pretty good (but long) schedule. You can depart Murnau at 06.55 and arrive at Munich Pasing at 07.41, then connect to a train that leaves Pasing at 08.00 and arrives in Fuessen at 09.54. So that would be a regular train transfer.

I've done bus transfers before, and yes, they are secure and fine. The hardest thing may be if the two busses use different corners for the bus stop, but you can always ask the bus driver where to catch the next bus -- have a print out of the schedule to show him/her. If you do happen to misss it, there's no problem at all -- just have some coffee at a cafe, enjoy the scenery, and wait for the next bus.

Sorry, no, I don't know the fares for the bus. If you post the url for the bus company, I'll take a look and see if I can understand it. Otherwise, you can always email the DB and ask them. Whenever I take the bus, I have a conversation with the bus driver to get the cheapest fare -- I tell him/her where I'm going and returning from, and s/he sells me the cheapest ticket.

Have fun!

s

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay -Garmish of Fussen/Neuschwanstein region

Hi swandav, the bus website is http://www.rvo-bus.de. It seems like bus number 9606 runs directly from Garmisch to Fussen, but I am not sure of its times. Can you find out when it leaves Garmisch? I need to be at Fussen no later than 10am. I think there is another bus 9651 that also goes to Fussen but I'm not sure where to catch it from. Basically I am looking for the best route to get to the castles from Murnau. There is a train (transfer in Munich Pasing) but the cost is pretty high (70 Euros) for 2 people. So I am looking for the bus as an alternative. Again, I need to reach there by 10am. Thanks!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,164 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay -Garmish of Fussen/Neuschwanstein region

Hi,

Yes, the 9606 is the direct bus from Garmisch to Füssen, as I wrote above; it leaves Garmisch at 09.40, as I wrote above and also at 07.50 (this connection is not direct but has a change in Rottenbuch) and it also runs at 12.05 (again this one is not direct and has a change in Rottenbuch).

The site you linked to is the DB Deutsch Bahn site, and as soon as you enter a search, you are on the regular DB pages with only the partial prices showing.

You can get the details of all the busses like this.

Go to www.bahn.com and enter your search, say from Murnau to Füssen. Enter the date & time (European dates are day.month.year, and European time uses the 24-hour clock).

When your connections come up, click on the little orange arrow to the left of each of the connections to see the details. To see all of the stops of either a train or a bus, click on the bus or train number in the 5th column, "Produkte." You will see exactly where each one stops.

Bus # 9651 stops in Weilheim (which you can very easily reach from Murnau, though it's in the opposite direction).

It looks like your problem is not so much the schedule but rather the price. Unfortunately, the DB runs all of the busses and trains on this schedule, and the price will be the same whether you take the bus or the train (I often take either train or busses in my area, and the fares are exactly the same). Truly, the most economical option is the Bavaria Ticket. Is there any way you could do this trip on a Saturday?? Or, why do you have to be there by 10.00?

If you want to know for sure the actual price for the busses, you should probably email and ask the DB.

Alternately, you can spend a few minutes at the train station in Murnau one or two days before your planned trip. Tell the counter agent what you want to do, and s/he will give you the very best schedules and fares.

Good luck as you work it out!

s

9. Re: where to stay -Garmish of Fussen/Neuschwanstein region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 02:18
10. Re: where to stay -Garmish of Fussen/Neuschwanstein region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 05:15