We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neuschwanstein Castle from mittenwald

Which Hohenschwangau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Athens, GA
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Neuschwanstein Castle from mittenwald

How do we get from Mittenwald to Hohenschwangau to visit Neuschwanstein Castle? Is there a bus service or a taxi service to and from? How do we make reservations for a ride there? Or do we need to take the train?

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,109 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from mittenwald

you could take bus and train- journey is about two and a half hours.

Or a taxi- probably about 2 hours.

They're bot particularly close together and roads don't really go direct.

Look at www.bahn.de and put in start "Mittenwald" and end "Hohenscwangau" for journeys - it shows bus/train connections

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,962 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from mittenwald

You can get there by a train + bus combination. You could do even a loop:

Mittenwald -train- Garmisch-Partenkirchen/Oberau -bus- Hohenschwangau -bus- Füssen -bus- Reutte -train (Ausserfern Railway)- Garmisch-Partenkirchen -train- Mittenwald.

Time wise the alternative routes to Hohenschwangau (for Neuschwanstein Castle) are similar. The whole route has nice scenery, esp. the Ausserfern Railway. You can make the route nearly completely on a Bayern Ticket (EUR 29 for 2-5 persons) - only the buses from Füssen to Reutte are not covered.

Advanced ticket/tour reservation for Neuschwanstein Castle is highly recommended.

https://www.hohenschwangau.de/765.0.html

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from mittenwald

The scenery on the route via Reutte, Austria, is stunning. You don't need reservations for this train and bus route and as abalada suggests just use the Bayern Ticket. You can buy a bus ticket in Reutte to get you to Fuessen.

You should definitely make an online reservation for your ticket at Neuschwanstein.

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from mittenwald

thanks so much for your suggestion ... this seems overwhelmingly complicated just to go 25 miles ... too many trains/buses ... i think i might just hire a private driver to take us directly there ... i don't think i can figure it out ...

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,962 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from mittenwald

> this seems overwhelmingly complicated just to go 25 miles

~ 80 km approx. 1,5 h by car

It is not as close as it may look on a map. Lot's of mountains one has to drive around.

> i don't think i can figure it out ...

DB timetable will do this for you

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Mittenwald

Destination: Hohenschwangau, Schwangau (Schlösser)

and add as stopover for the northern route via Oberammergau

Via: Oberammergau

and for the southern route (Ausserfern Railway)

Via: Reutte in Tirol

and select as means of transport "only local transport".

To see the details for a connection click on the '>' symbol.

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from mittenwald

Thank you so much for putting instructions down so clearly for me!! i really appreciate it -- i will go to the website and give it a try. I don't understand all the stopovers but maybe it will become clearer to me on the website. Is this for a round trip ticket?

Do you purchase the ticket in advance or just have the information to give to the ticket agent at the Mittenwald train station? I don't know what a Bayern ticket is?

Which is the town to get off for the Castle?

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,109 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from mittenwald

The Bayern ticket is a one day ticket that you can buy at any station. It does not need to be bought in advance. It provides travel for up to 5 people for a whole day in Bavaria on any local train. You can use it as often as you like on that actual day. Round trip, back and forth, whatever you like.

There is likely no staff at Mittenwald, but a machine that will give info in English.

You put your money in and get the ticket

Edited: 13 April 2012, 10:24
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,962 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from mittenwald

There is no DB travel center (counter) at MIttenwald but there is a DB agency (travel agency selling DB tickets) From the address in or next to the train station.

Reisebüro Döring, Inh. Anja Döring

Bahnhofsplatz 14

82481 Mittenwald

Open

Mo-Sa 9am-12am

Mo,Tu,Th,Fr 2pm-6pm

Bayern Ticket there will be 2 Euro more than from a ticket machine. But I think these 2 Euro are well invested in your case.

Bayern Ticket is a day ticket covering all regional trains in Bavaria. It covers also the Ausserfern Railway on its part through Austria (Reutte is in Austria). Inside Bavaria it covers also all regional buses. Bayern Ticket is not only of use for the trip to Neuschwanstein Castle but also your friend to travel from Mittenwald to Munich. Without one exception on a few days (an ICE train) there are anyway only regional trains on this route.

While Bayern Ticket is on Sa or Su valid from midnight till 3am next day it is on weekdays only valid from 9am till 3am next day. If you travel on a weekday it will however make sense to use the train departing Mittenwald at 08:37. Which means buying an additional ticket from Mittenwald to Garmisch-Partenkirchen where the train departs past 9am (= Bayern Ticket is now valid). The ticket agent will know this and can sell you also this ticket.

Than the bus from Reutte in Tirol (Austria) to Füssen (Germany) is not covered by the Bayern Ticket. EUR 4,10 per person. Here you can pay simply to the bus driver.

> Which is the town to get off for the Castle?

"Hohenschwangau, Schwangau (Schlösser)" is the bus stop close to the ticket center for Neuschwanstein Castle. Which is in the tiny village of Hohenschwangau. Map

hohenschwangau.de/typo3temp/…7c854f90f0.jpg

You'll arrive at the public bus stop. Just one stop albeit with 2 locations depending on the driving direction, i.e. on which side of the road the bus stops.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,363 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from mittenwald

One thing no one has mentioned is that half of Neuschwanstein Palace is under scaffolding. Therefore any views of it from the base of the hill which it sits upon toward the Alps will be ruined. You might like to reconsider your plans.

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from mittenwald

Can we just go there and return to Mittenwald on the same route? Back from Hohenschwangau to Garmisch-Partenkirchen/Oberau via bus and then train from there back to Mittenwald? That way we could use the Bayern ticket exclusively (no bus ticket to purchase in Reutte) and less transfers!! That would be simplest for me!