We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with elders - Q on steps, parking, food

Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Topic
Travelling with elders - Q on steps, parking, food

Hi all,

We are a group of mixed ages( 2 elders, young couple and kids) travelling from Fussen to the castle in July. We will be prebuying the tickets for the earliest tour in the day( 8 or 9am), since after the castle visit we plan to go onto Innsbruck.

Question 1: . Are there clear directions to go from Fussen centre to the castle and where can we park once we reach the spot?

Question 2: I have read that there is a quite a walk to the castle itself. How long would it take since i would like to plan earlier so that we have ample time to get to the castle before the tour? Would it make sense to take the coach ride since we have elders in the group(they are fit but steep walks are a no no). I believe there are carriage rides as well waits until it gets full so want to know on this and how far is the parking from the castle itself?

Question 3: Is there an elevator in the castle as i read it in some posts as im worried the elders might not be able to take the tour if there are 160 odd steps to climb within the castle?

Question 4: Do we drive to the Marienbruck bridge or walk again?

Question 5: How many hours should we allow, to drive + park + go to castle + inside tour + go to bridge and return all at an medium pace?

Question 6 : Incase the elders dont come into the castle and only half the group goes in, is there any waiting area, rest room, restuarant around close by where they can wait comfortably?

Sorry too many questions and thanks for reading them. I dont want to ping repeatedly with single q's in different posts.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with elders - Q on steps, parking, food

They should take the horse carriage.

180 steps in the castle.

There are restaurants they could wait at if they don't go up to the castle.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,173 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with elders - Q on steps, parking, food

These are good, thoughtful questions.

We rode the bus from Fuessen to Neuschwanstein, but I believe it is well signed. There's a big parking lot near the ticket center, and that early in the day there should be plenty of parking.

You have to pick up your tickets at least an hour before the designated tour time, to allow enough time to climb the mountain. There is a regular bus and also horse-drawn carriage to the top, or you can walk. The area from the parking lot to the ticket center to where you pick up the bus is flat and an easy walk. You ride in the bus or carriage up to Marienbrucke, then walk down a steep little bit to the castle.

There is no elevator inside. There are handicapped tours sometimes but you have to arrange them ahead of time. Sorry, I don't know how to do that, but the website might have directions.

There are restaurants and gift shops both at the top of the mountain and at the bottom by the ticket center. They might prefer at the bottom if they want to gaze at Neuschwanstein in the distance, and also to walk to one of the nearby lakes. There is also Hohenschwangau, where Ludwig grew up, within walking distance to Neuschwanstein. It's flat and easily accessible - I don't remember many (if any) steps) and it just as interesting, if not as spectacular, as Neuschwanstein.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 01:49
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with elders - Q on steps, parking, food

Thanks both :)

4. Re: Travelling with elders - Q on steps, parking, food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 05:16