We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in December

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
371 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear in December

Hi everyone,

I am coming from a tropical country and have not experienced temperatures below 15C!

I will be in Germany & Czech Republic during the first week in December, and wonder what exactly I should wear. Lot of photos of Christmas Markets show people wearing jackets, Mufflers/ scarfs, denim trousers, boots and gloves.

I already have jerseys and a winter jacket (Northface gore tex). I read that I should get winter socks.

Should the thermal underwear have long sleeves? Does one wear thermal tights and then the denim trousers or can I survive without thermal tights?

If not denim trousers what else can one wear as trousers?

Sorry for the silly questions, but I am afraid I will not be prepared for the cold, and will suffer.

Thanks

Best Seller
Neuschwanstein and Linderhof Royal...
4,319 Reviews
from US$64.60*
Best Seller
Neuschwanstein and Linderhof Castles...
456 Reviews
from US$142.50*
Best Seller
Neuschwanstein Castle Small-Group Day...
1,878 Reviews
from US$58.70*
14 replies to this topic
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in December

You can always go to a department store and buy some clothes. Of course we can not predict the weather. December is usually rather mild, last year we had 17c, could be different this year. The answer would be to wear layers as it can get cold at night, but sunny and pleasant during the day. That way you have a jacket to keep ypu warm that you can take off during the day when the sun comes out

Florida
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in December

I know what you mean. I was in southern Chile with what I thought was winter clothing.

Very important: a long and wide scarf that you can warp around. Plenty of those available in Germany. I don't know what you mean by winter socks. They should be longer than the very short summer socks people wear in Florida. I wouldn't buy long sleeved thermal underwear. It is too hot indoors.

Layers are a very good idea.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
11,048 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in December

Everything indoor is heated (churches are the only exception), so thermal underwear is not a good idea in the city. You'll boil as soon as you enter a building or board a bus, tram or train. Outdoor activities like hiking or winter sports are a different matter, of course.

Layers, layers, layers do the trick... 2 or 3 thin layers keep warmer than one thick layer.

A few necessary accessoires that don't cost much: hat, scarf, gloves.

Shoes should be waterproof. Gore-tex lined boots are best. Normal leather shoes are, as opposed to a widespread opinion among people from dry hot climates, not waterproof without additional treatment. Get water-repelling spray (better buy it in Germany because spray cans are a problem in flight luggage). Every drugstore and shoe shop has it.

Another item to buy in a shoe shop or department store for just a few Euros, in order to keep your feet warm: inlay soles to put into your shoes. Trust me, they do make an enormous difference.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,662 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear in December

+1 for good quality liners for your shoes and good woollen socks - there is nothing worse than cold feet.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
5,107 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear in December

Bring your jacket, but DON'T buy long underwear! If anything, wear leggings under your jeans, and if you are uncomfortable, you can get them off again.

You would have to get gloves, though. Of couse you can get by without them if you keep your hands in your pockets, but if you need to hold an umbrella, you can't do that. And if it gets too cold (maybe -10 degrees), keeping your hands in your pockets will not be enough any more and you'll feel uncomfortable.

Get a scarf, too. You can get your gloves and scarf at C&A in the pedestrian area. (If you walk from Karlsplatz/Stachus to Marienplatz, it's to your right.) And it makes sense to wear warmer socks, or two pairs of socks. Make sure your shoes are wide enough for this.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear in December

Such valuable advise!

Thank you so much.

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear in December

A few years ago, I went to Prague, Berlin and Dresden the first week in December. It was an usually cold year and I ended up wearing two pairs of pants, two sets of gloves and scarves and hats. You just can’t tell from year to year. Just remember Howe er cold it is, it can’t tske away the joy of seeing a new and exciting city!

Edited: 20 November 2017, 23:32
Colombo
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear in December

Yes, I keep telling myself that. I petrified of not being prepared for the extreme cold.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,364 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear in December

Hi 1LifeStand,

Well, I'm going to go against what most folks on this thread are advising -- I say yes to buying & wearing long-john underwear to keep you warm. Or... maybe not exactly thermal long-johns, but at least a long-sleeved t-shirt.

I was born & raised in Saudi Arabia, and after that I lived in warm places in the USA: Florida and Tennessee. I get cold very easily, and like you, before I moved here, holding off the cold was one of my biggest fears. I find that wearing a long-sleeved t-shirt adds a good layer of warmth, and, no, I don't get hot when I go inside... I am actually comfortable.

Another benefit -- these long-sleeved t-shirts wash easily and dry overnight, so you can pack about 4 of them and wash every 4 or 5 days. On top of the t-shirt, wear a mid-weight cotton or wool sweater, and then a good, waterproof coat or jacket. If you want (and I did this for several years), you can add a cardigan or fleece vest underneath your coat. Since the cotton/wool sweaters don't come in contact with your skin, you likely won't have to wash them at all, and since you'll be seeing different areas daily, you only need to bring 2 or 3 of them. So to sum up, I would suggest that you bring 4 long-sleeved t-shirts, 3 sweaters, maybe a cardigan or fleece vest, and a coat. And of course, as others have said, a hat, scarf, and gloves.

Another note about denim -- it is a heavy material, and if it gets wet, it will take days to dry. Many folks here wear corduroy pants in the winter.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear in December

It is end of November and weather forecast this week is going up to 17c, we can not predict the weather, but that you would experience "extreme cold" in December is highly unlikely

Reply to: What to wear in December
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted