We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip out of the city - somewhere a bit different?

Glasgow, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
Day trip out of the city - somewhere a bit different?

Hi

My husband and I are visiting Munich for 4 days in December. We've been to Munich a few times before, we've been to Salzburg many times and once to Berteschgaden & Konigsee. We've also been to Dachau.

So this time I am wondering where we could go for a different trip. I would like to get out of the city for the day, maybe to the mountains or lakes where we can enjoy the cool, clear air.

Do you have a recommendation for a place to visit that maybe won't be too busy with the usual tourist groups? Somewhere we can enjoy the scenery, have a nice (not too strenuous) walk, enjoy some good food and then return back to Munich the same day?

We'd prefer to go somewhere that has a direct train link, although coach may be ok too.

We enjoy mountains, lakes, castles, history, beer, wine, good food!

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
11,067 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip out of the city - somewhere a bit different?

How about Tegernsee: http://en.tegernsee.com/region-places.html

Glasgow, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip out of the city - somewhere a bit different?

Thank you!

This looks really good. I see there is a Christmas Market at Rottach-Egern on 6th Dec which could be nice for us. I also like the idea of doing the cable car to Wallberg Mountain if it is open.

Do you know if the best way to do this would be the train from Munich to Tegernsee and then a bus or taxi to Rottach-Egern?

Also do you happen to know whether the cable car is often closed in winter due to weather conditions?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
324 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip out of the city - somewhere a bit different?

I am also considering adding Rottch-Egern to our market trip. I am interested in the boat that goes between three markets. (Also bus). Any info or thoughts? How can I combine this with the cable car. We will do as a day trip from Munich,, on either a Sat or Sunday. Would appreciate any help/info. Thank You!

Level Contributor
63 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip out of the city - somewhere a bit different?

This summer I made a half day trip to Linderhof palace and Oberammergau

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlmiXy04Rfc

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,365 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip out of the city - somewhere a bit different?

Hi miles f81,

Here is my regular recommendation for a day-trip to the Zugspitze and the Eibsee from Munich:

At the Garmisch train station, go downstairs and follow the tunnel to the Zugsptitzbahn, and take the train up to the Zugspitzplatt (Zugspitze glacier), 90 minutes. Enjoy the views from the glacier, have a bite to eat if you want, then take the cable car up to the summit (10 or 15 minutes). At the summit, have a meal or just take in the views and enjoy the sun terrace. Then take the train back down to the Eibsee (30 minutes). Walk around the Eibsee (90 minutes), then have cake and coffee at the lakeside restaurant. Take the Eibsee bus (runs about once an hour, and the trip takes 20 minutes) to the Marienplatz in Garmisch. Walk through town on the pedestrian path and then onward back to the train station.

This itinerary gives you some mountain, some countryside, and some town – a view of all Bavaria.

A few notes -- if your visit in December comes on or after 21 Dec, you'll be able to take the new cable car from the summit all the way down to the Eibsee, and that will be much faster. Also, unfortunately, this won't be away from other tourists, as this is a hugely popular excursion, especially around the holidays. The Zugspitze has already opened for skiing, so it attracts a lot of folks... but it's a lot of fun to watch the skiing from the restaurant at the glacier.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Reply to: Day trip out of the city - somewhere a bit different?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted