We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gardens in and around Munich

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
English Lake...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gardens in and around Munich

Can anyone help

I am taking a group of five mature horticultural students to Munich in July. Our tutor wishes to see Westpark but which other gardens should we see and what is the best way of getting to each one.

Does anyone know of a way of getting a conducted tour to any private gardens.

We would also like to go to Linderhof, any other ideas. We have five days.

Thank you

Florida
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gardens in and around Munich

Both the Englischer Garten and Botanischer Garten's are easy to get to, but not privat. They are defiantely worth seeing..

English Lake...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gardens in and around Munich

Thank you.

Do you know anything about Westpark? How much time do you think I should allow for each garden? Are they close to public transport?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gardens in and around Munich

Westpark has an own subway station of the same name on the U6.

Linderhof is far away - I think there are a few buses from Garmisch-Partenkirchen or from Oberammergau to Linderhof. You can look at www.bahn.de for schedules from whatever place you stay at in Municht to Schloss Linderhof.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Gardens in and around Munich

Schloss Nymphenburg in Munich, acssible by streetcar , is another garden option.

Of course - in my book - the ultimate in gardens in southern Germany are on the Insel Mainau, outside Konnstanz in the Bodensee (Lake Constance). I don't know how much flexibility you have in your itinerary, and how you are travelling from the UK and in Germany. I believe Ryanair flies to Friedrichshafen, and from there are boats to Konstanz and the Mainau.

The whole island Mainau is one big garden.

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gardens in and around Munich

What about contacting german students of the Technische Universität München:

wzw.tum.de/fachschaften/gartenbau/index.htm

They have a forum on their website, mabe you can also post your question there.

Germany
Level Contributor
460 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gardens in and around Munich

I'm from Munich.

The "Englischer Garten" is the biggest park inside of a city world wide. It's so big...., you can't imagine! There are also nice "Biergärten" (= beer gardens) inside: at the Chinese tower (which is touristic), Seehaus (fancy) and Aumeister (in the north part of the Englischer Garten. Don't miss to go to Seehaus or Aumeister!!!

Westpark is the former international horticultural show area.

If you want to go to a castle you could also go to Neuschwannstein or Herrenchiemsee. Both you can reach by train. There are cheap group tickets available (ask for "Bayern Ticket"). It's around 30 euros for 5 people.

You could also do a trip to Schliersee or Tegernsee. Schliersee is just 45 min by train from Munich.

I would recommend you to rent bicycles when you're in Munich. This is the most pleasant way to get around (for example if you want to go to the Englischer Garten).

Germany
Level Contributor
460 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gardens in and around Munich

typo ---> Neuschwanstein

Prittlbach, Germany
Level Contributor
574 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gardens in and around Munich

The horticultural epicenter is in Freising, the homepage of the university Weihenstephan 'horticultural science' is here

www.fh-weihenstephan.de/fgw/kontakt.html (sorry, only german, but I'm sure they will reply to an e-mail in english)

They do have beautiful gardens which you can visit free of charge. They also do guided tours of their gardens, not sure how much they charge for those, I've been to one once and it was very interesting. I'm sure they can come up with an english-speaking guide as well.

Freising is close to the airport, and there's a train connection from Munich. All in all an excellent day out, since Weihenstephan hosts also the eldest brewery, adds to the fun for sure.

Another interesting trip might be the Roseninsel (rose island) in the Lake of Starnberg

http://www.roseninsel.org/start.html (sorry, only in german)

train S6 from Munich to Feldafing and a 20 min walk to the boat landing and a short trip by ferry. They also do guided tours, mail

info@roseninsel.org