We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich Questions

virginia, USA
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Munich Questions

I and my wife are arriving in Munich on Aug 4th. We are taking a 7 day river

cruise in Passau on August 5th. I have the following questions, any suggestions

are greatly appreciated:

1. We are staying one night at Tryp Munchen (ery near the Stachus business district). Since we are arriving at 11.00 PM, I am assuming that taxi is the best way to get to the hotel from the airport.

2. Our cruise starts at 7.00 PM. We plan to be in Passau by 5.00 PM. What is the best transportation option from Munich to Passau?

3. If we are spending 3-4 hours in Munich, what are is recommended?

Thanks in advance,

Srini

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,402 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich Questions

1. There are direct S-Bahn trains from the airport to Karlsplatz (Stachus) until well past midnight.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: M Stachus

Single ticket is EUR 8,80.

Another option would be to use the S-Bahn at 00:02 (or later) and buy a Bavaria Ticket (EUR 27,00) for the 5th August. With this ticket you can also travel to Passau. This is a mini group day ticket covering all regional trains in Bavaria and nearly all other local public transport (Munich: U-Bahn, trams, buses).

Taxi will be quite expensive (EUR 50-60) as Munich aiport is quite distant from Munich.

2. You don't have much options on this.

There are however maintance works on the direct root (school holidays). Thus connections are kind of zig-zag or with buses (at least partly). And of course this will be slower than normal.

To: Passau

and select as means of transport "only local transport" if you like to use the Bavaria Ticket.

3. Fetch a walking guide leaflet from the tourist office and explore the old city centre.

www.muenchen.de/Tourismus/6942/index.html

2. Re: Munich Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 01:16