We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich for 7 nights...too long?

United States
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Munich for 7 nights...too long?

My husband and I would like to visit Germany in January 2008 for about 7 nights. I really want to spend a day touring the Neuschwanstein Castle and the surrounding area. We also would like to visit Salzburg for another day trip.

Do you think we should use Munich as our "home base" and just take day tours out of there OR should be stay in Munich for 5 nights and stay in Salzburg for 2 nights? Any other ideas for a second location instead of Salzburg? How about a nice area in northern Italy or Switzerland? We originally wanted a Munich and Vienna or Prague package, but we would have to fly between the locations, which we don't want to do. We would like to take the train.

Thanks!

Coronado, California
Level Contributor
78 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich for 7 nights...too long?

We are going to Munich for four nites in late November. We have friends from Nuremburg, so we are heading there, then on to Salzburg and Vienna in early December. All by train.

I think Munich is a good home base for Bavaria and then on to Austria or Switzerland, France , Italy. Weather can be a big consideration in January.

boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich for 7 nights...too long?

Salzburg is a lovely city and definitely deserves more than a day trip. Definitely stay in Salzburg two nights. This would give you a chance to explore the Surrounding region which is absolutely beautiful. Visiting either Prauge or Vienna on this trip seems too ambitious for a 7 night trip.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,456 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich for 7 nights...too long?

Daytrips by train are very do-able from Munich - it's the hub for all of southern Bavaria. I think I'd stay over in Salzburg simply because the daylight hours are so few in January. If you don't really want to do Salzburg, there are many other choices. Since you'll be in Füssen, why not also daytrip north? Augsburg and Landshut are good options; maybe Regensburg or Nürnberg; though a bit further out; it's only about 1 hour to N'berg on the fast trains!

Bayerisch...
Level Contributor
129 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich for 7 nights...too long?

Why not get to see some of the countryside AND do Prague? You can take the train from Munich to the Bavarian Forest. If you stay in a village called Bayerisch Eisenstein, you are right on the border with the Czech Republic - you can even walk across. And if you make sure your stay there includes a Tuesday or Thursday, you can take a bus trip to Prague which includes a guided tour. The Bavarian Forest mountains are very beautiful. There are 2 places in the village which have English owners and offer accommodation.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
159 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich for 7 nights...too long?

I agree with herr - spend some time in Salzburg - not just a day trip.

We spent 3 nights in Munich in July and took a day trip to Salzburg. We loved it so much that we vowed to come back and spend much more time there.

We did a bus trip around the outlying district which had magnificent scenery with beautiful lakes and huge mountains in the background. In January this would no doubt present a contrasting view to summer, but just as beautiful. The city itself is very compact with lots to see and do.

Munich too is an interesting and enjoyable city and a good base for day tours, including that castle.

My opinion - definitely go for at least 2 nights in Salzburg.

Scotland
Level Contributor
206 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich for 7 nights...too long?

Dear Lovetotravel

I am interested in your post as my family and I stayed in Munich for seven nights in July. Like yourself, I did wonder if that was too long.

Munich is a lovely city, with great galleries and museums. There is loads to see and do. We did two day trips out of the city, to Salzburg and Regensburg. Both are easy to get to by train, being 1 1/2 to 2 hours journey. We would have liked more time in Salzburg, so if you can arrange to stay for a couple of nights, that does sound like a good idea.

I think that the trip to Neuschwanstein Castle is a long day, but from what I hear, it's worth it.

Another possible day trip is to Mittenwald and Garmisch in the Alps. You can take the cable car up Zugspitze for what I understand are amazing views.

The best bit about train travel from Munich is the Bayern Ticket which allows up to five people to travel anywhere in Bavaria for 27 euros.

Muncih is a railway hub, and you can get to just about anywhere in Europe. Prague, for example, is a wonderful city, but you would have to give up a day of your holiday to get there.

Best wishes,

Jammie

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,428 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich for 7 nights...too long?

Another vote here to stay 2 nights in Salzburg, the remainder in Munich - connect by train.

Don't try for too much more, these two cities will keep you well occupied for 7 days.

Stoofer

Newcastle,
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich for 7 nights...too long?

HI

We have just returned from Munich/Salzburg and my opinion is that you could spend at least 2 days in Salzburg.

We had 4 nights in Munich and that was enough time to see everything.

Neuschwanstein was amazing. The view from St Marys bridge which looks over to the castle is incredible.

It is probably worth you doing the castle via an organised excursion as that way they pre book your tour into the castle which means no queing and no hanging around . Otherwise if you just turn up the chances are you have to wait a couple of hours for the next available tour.

Whilst in Salzburg we did the Mozart tour which was very good (just an hour and a half) so didnt take up your whole day leaving plenty of time for Mirabell gardens etc.

We also got the bus from Salzburg to St Gilgan and took the boat across the lake to St Wolfgang which was very enjoyable. Scenary is beautiful.

United States
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Munich for 7 nights...too long?

Gill - did you take a train to get from Munich to Salzburg? If so, which one and how much did it cost (if you don't mind me asking)? We're deciding between booking the ICE train through a package deal or just getting a Bayern ticket on our own and traveling that way. I really don't know the differences (besides the cost!) yet so I'm hoping someone could enlighten me!

10. Re: Munich for 7 nights...too long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 01:15