We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foodie souvenirs from Munich?

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Foodie souvenirs from Munich?

I'm going to Munich at the start of December, really looking forward to the Christmas markets and also planning a daytrip to Salzburg. Whenever I travel I like to bring back some foodie souvenirs to remind me of my holiday when I'm back home, but what should I bring back from Munich? Ziegler schnapps have already been suggested, as well as lebkuchen and sweet mustard; I'm travelling by coach within the EU so not worried about airline restrictions. What should I absolutely not miss?

toronto
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foodie souvenirs from Munich?

Hi babybat,

I have a few suggestions; these are just my personal favorites..things I can't get in Canada but which you may already have easy access to in the UK.

My favorite foodie store in Munich center is Dallmayr. It's a high end gourmet shop with a separate gift shop where you can buy beautiful coffee tins with their amazing coffee. They also have herb oils, wines etc. and of course a range of mustards. In the shop proper there are many counters with gourmet cheeses, pastries, antipasto etc. It's fun just to see. website: dallmayr.de

I already have orders from friends to bring home an herb mix called Kraueterbutter Mischung. It's literally herb butter mix. I'm not sure if they have it in southern Germany; I buy it in Alsace. You mix it with butter and serve it as a condiment with steak or seafood. Yum! I'll be looking for it myself when I'm in Munich next week. You can find it in grocery stores; it comes in small shaker type jars which are light and easy to transport. A little goes a long way.

Lastly I always shop for German dog treats - I know that's not what you're after but hey...I'll mention it. We don't have nearly the selection here and my pooch loves Chocodrops. I bring some home for my friends canine buddies.

One thing you might consider is foodie accessories instead of actual food. Any department store will have cool little gadgets which I can't get here. Cheap, small and fun.

Other than that the usual Munich treats are best enjoyed on site, as I'm sure you know. I'll be heading for the pretzel vendor in Marienplatz for sure!!!

Enjoy your trip and let me know how you make out!!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foodie souvenirs from Munich?

If you bring back actual food, you'll soon run out of it. Why not instead buy a cookbook of Munich, Bavarian or German specialities, then you can fix them yourself at any time. For actual Christmas related food, buy Lebkuchen or Christstollen as they are traditional.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foodie souvenirs from Munich?

The train station in Munich has a place where you can buy wrapped and decorated gingerbread hearts. I know they're meant for eating, but we've had one hanging on our kitchen wall for years. It makes an interesting souvenir.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Foodie souvenirs from Munich?

Dallmayr is wonderful but very pricey. I drooled all over that place! I love the salad dressings that they put on the wonderful salads so went to Tenglemens and bought packages of Salat Kronung by Knorr. We don't have that in the states. They come four in a pack. The spargel soup mix is great. we buy the different types of candy that we can't get in the states also. Mu husband gets the different jams and coffee. Germans make the BEST Kaffee. We were down by Garmish and I found a wood carver that sold the best Kitchen gadgets. The nut crackers were the best and meat mallets were easy to pack. He had beautiful bowls. I was going to save things for Christmas presents but didn't. He had beautiful pepper mills.

toronto
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Foodie souvenirs from Munich?

Ah yes, flpab - quite right. Dallmayr is expensive. Thanks for reminding me about the salad dressings! I'll be in Germany in November and added that to my list! Totally agree about the Kaffee too. I splurged on Peugot salt and pepper mills a few years ago andnever regretted it - expensive but you can't get them in the great white north :) You also reminded me of another thing - stained glass. Sounds unpackable but I managed. There are small affordable scenes available in department stores in the household sections - a thought for babybat. On another splurge I found a shop owned by a man who restored church windows after the war. I bought an 11x14 ish stained glass rendition of the bavarian coat of arms. It's a daily reminder of my heritage and hangs in our kitchen. Sorry to go off topic..just getting excited about my trip :))) If anyone wants the name of the stained glass vendor I'll get the info from my file. Priceless.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Foodie souvenirs from Munich?

There are some lovely bottled and packaged goods in Viktualienmarkt and the shops that border. Excellent quality.

Stoofer

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
819 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Foodie souvenirs from Munich?

racerchik - TO is not quite that dark a hinterland:

for Peugeot Pepper mills:

SWISSMAR

35 East beaver Creek Road, Unit#6

L4B 1B3 Richmond Hill, Ont.

Tel. : 18 779 477 627

fax : 18 002 163 492

for some of the food items noted above:

Denningers, King St. W. Hamilton or any of her other outlets

Brandt Meats

Mattawa Ave., Mississauga well worth a visit now before Christmas.

Vienna Meat on Birchmount

just to name a few.

8. Re: Foodie souvenirs from Munich?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 04:18