We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

munich to venice

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
448 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
munich to venice

My husband and I will travel to Munich (great airfare) on March 24; we have 4 free days before we are due to arrive in Umbria, Italy. Ideally, we'd like to tour Venice, but are unsure of the best way to travel there. Rental csr? Yikes--those gas prices! Train? Plane? I've read the posts that recommend TUIfly.com, yet they don't currently list a route from Munich to anywhere in Italy. Interesting stops along the way if we do drive? Any other airlines? How long is the train ride? Stops en route? Many thanks for all your help; every trip, the tripadvisor "family" accompanies us and gives great advice to add depth to our travels! Many, many thanks. Sharon

Florida
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: munich to venice

Take the night train from the Munchen Hbf (Main Train station), and pay an extra few Euro for the Sleeper (couchette) car... It will save you on the hotel that evening, and you will be in Venice the next day. Do not rent a car, too expensive, and not necessary IMHO.. MK

Gulfport, Florida
Level Contributor
612 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: munich to venice

Intra-Europe air luggage allowances are quite small compared to U.S. standards and the cost for overages is greater.

TUIfly flies to Venice from several cities. Munich is not one of them, though. (they used to, if I recall). I think Condor might do that route, though. A direct flight on a legacy airline is going to cost you about $600 (eeckkk!).

I'd take the train.. but then, I like trains. It's about 7 hours and second class at full fare would be about $130 or so.

Paul

Florida
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: munich to venice

SIR: Checkout this link: www.db.de/english

It shows the night train leaving the Munchen Hbf at 23:45 hrs, taking 8.5 hrs to Venice / Santa Lucia Station... Not bad. I would get the 1st Class or Sleeper ICE ticket myself... One of them takes 8:32, and the other 9 hrs flat. Basically, you wake-up in Venice about 8:30 a.m. Nice!

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
448 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: munich to venice

Many thanks to you both; the night train seems the most reasonable option-- We did that to get from Nice to Rome last year & it was fine. Our flight, however, lands at 8 in the morning so we do have a day to spend with luggage--We always carry on, which nobody who knows us can believe! --spend a day in Munich? take the train part way to Venice, stay in Austria perhaps for a day? Any suggestions? Again, my thanks!

Florida
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: munich to venice

There are lockers for rent, and places to wash-up at the train station im Munchen...

Gulfport, Florida
Level Contributor
612 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: munich to venice

The night train is very nice (It's a CNL). I've done this route several times.

If you take a day train....On the direct route, I have stopped at Innsbruck which can be lovely if the weather is nice. If you go further, there are several stops in the german speaking part of Italy (the Italian spoils from WWI) as well as two marvelous Italiano cities: Padua and Verona.

You could of course take a less direct route through Vienna and/or Salzburg.

My choice would be Verona if you haven't been there yet.

Paul

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
448 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: munich to venice

Again, thank you both. Last year we flew into Rome and planned to leave our luggage in lockers at the train station, but there were none--security reasons, we were told, which made sense to me. Have security precautions eliminated those lockers in Munich too? I wonder--it sounds like a good plan to leave on the night train after spending the day in Munich; we like the idea of stopping in Innsbruck en route to Italy--it sounds beautiful, but probably still very cold there in at the end of March. I spent a good deal of time looking at airfares and Lufthansa has a RT between Munich and Verona for $127. We both feel we'd miss a lot, though, by not seeing the route from M to Venice...or Verona, which may be more appealing to us. (setting of Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet, isn't it? Will learn more about it!) When I checked train prices, it seemed that the Munich to Innsbruck trip was much more expensive than Munich to Venice, at least for daytime travel. Is that correct? Have you ever used bus lines? eurolines is recommended in a guide book, but their site is difficult to navigate. Thanks for all suggestions! Sharon

Florida
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: munich to venice

I have seen recent postings about people leaving their possessions in lockers at the Hbf in Munchen. I have not heard about them being "closed", etc.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: munich to venice

I have used the following for day trips to Innsbruck & Salzburg a couple of times each:

www.autobusoberbayern.de/

Very reasonable, nice buses with refreshments. They Munchener have beer for only 1 EUR, sodas, water, etc.

10. Re: munich to venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 16:20