We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Train from Venice to Munich

Wenatchee...
Level Contributor
440 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight Train from Venice to Munich

We are taking the overnight train from Venice to Munich and weren't able to reserve a sleeper car as they are all full - so, we are in coach. Is this going to be a joke to try to get any rest? How roomy are the seats?? Do they recline? Thanks!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,538 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight Train from Venice to Munich

Could not find which coach class is exactly used on this night train. DB timetable in German speaks of "Abteilwagen". Thus none of the newer cars with seating especially built for night journeys. Rather a classical IC/EC car with compartments.

coach layout

nachtzugreise.de/nachtzugreise/view/mdb/nach…

photos (no guarantee that your coach will look like this)

grahnert.de/fernbahn/…db-bomz-1.jpg

grahnert.de/fernbahn/…db-bomz-2.jpg

These are photos from a DB NachtZug coach class Bomz. DB NachtZug was integrated into CityNightLine in the mean time. And there are Bomz coaches in the new livery of CityNightLine

…imageshack.us/img401/1240/gr0030082ya6.jpg

> Do they recline?

Not really. If I remember correctly the cushion could be moved towards the compartment aisle centre.

With just 2 or 3 persons in these compartments they are OK. With more persons I don't think you'll get much sleep.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight Train from Venice to Munich

When will you be travelling?

Wenatchee...
Level Contributor
440 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight Train from Venice to Munich

We are traveling mid September - on a Saturday night.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight Train from Venice to Munich

Hi

According to http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

sleepers are available on CNL 40388 departing Venice 22:51 on both 13 (EUR 159) and 20 (EUR 192.90) September.

Couchettes are sold out both days.

Hans

South Carolina
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight Train from Venice to Munich

I have tried this trip in coach. I did pretty well in the beginning. There were not many other passengers at first and I slept for a while. Then it started to get crowded and I didn't get any more sleep. The seat folded out flat, but this was only possible if there was not a passenger in the seat in front of me. I had to put the seat upright when that seat was filled.

6. Re: Overnight Train from Venice to Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 08:21