We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with morning traffic conditions at Munich and route to

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Help with morning traffic conditions at Munich and route to

We arrive at Munich Airport early in the morning on a weekday and expect to be on a rental car at 7:00. We are considering visiting Munich Zoo (our 2 kids will be with us!) until our check-in time at Pfaffenhausen village in Allgau. However, and although, we have travel several times in Europe, we are afraid of heavy traffic conditions on the way to the Zoo especially been sleepless the night before. I have checked the route through Michelin Site and it seems that there are 2 ways of getting to the south are of Munich from the Airport. However, according to Michelin, the eastern route, which seems to me further away for the city centre, is by 30 minutes longer than the western route! Since we do not know the traffic conditions at this early hour in the morning, any help with the route to follow is highly appreciated. Having in mind that we may not have enough sleep the night before doea this sound a bad idea? Any other suggestions are welcomed!

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with morning traffic conditions at Munich and route to

I think we corresponded with each other before.

You are right, traffic into the city and around the city is bad during rush hours, and the Zoo (Tierpark Hellabrunn) is sort of out of the way, along Wolfrathshauser Strasse. Even in normal traffic conditions is it not easy to find your way there. I mould recommend against it.

I forgot how old your children are, but do you think they would be interesterd in the Dewutsche Museum? Check it out on the web. http://www.deutsches-museum.de/ There is an English version.

You could go there by S-Bahn from the airport, then return to the airport to pick up your car. Parking is at a premium in Munich.

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with morning traffic conditions at Munich and route to

Thanks Treplow, I think we will follow your previous advise for Landsberg am Lech, since there will be traffic in the morning (I was just hoping that 7 o'clock wouldn't be a rush hour). A visit to the Deutches Museum would be interesting for my kids (especially my daughter aged 8) but only if there is some english involved so I could translate (unfortunately I do not speak any german). We faced this problem during a previous visit we 've had in Austria where there was a kids-friendly part in a museum but it was all in german! If you happen to know, anything child-friendly in Landsberg or the area around?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with morning traffic conditions at Munich and route to

Sorry, can't help you with anything "kidsfriendly" in Landsberg.

One other thought: Outside of Guenzburg (along the Autobahn A-8, westbound past Augsburg), is Legoland. I have never been there, but you probably can find out something about it on the web. The A-8 is relatively easy to get to from the airport (A-9 south to the A-99 by-pass, then west following the signs to the A-8, Augsburg - Stuttgart.)

You then could drive from Guenzburg south to Pfaffnehofen on the B-16. It's about 45km.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with morning traffic conditions at Munich and route to

Sorry, I meant to write that the B-16 will take you to Pfaffenhausen. (There is also a Pfaffenhofen near Munich.) Legoland is just south of Exit 67 of the A-8. Guenzburg itself is also a nice town. It's about 110km from the Munich airport.

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with morning traffic conditions at Munich and route to

Thanks again Treplow! We do plan to visit Legoland but considering that for another day where we would not be sleepless so to enjoy the place ( afterall it is a 99eur family entrance ticket-I would hate visiting the place for only a few hours). Landsberg sounds like a nice idea and it really is on our way. I'll search further the internet and try to find something amusing for the kids in the area ( they will not be in a position to do sightseeing in Landsber until our check-in time- we arrive in Munich at 6 early morning!)

Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
89 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with morning traffic conditions at Munich and route to

hello margory

thanx for your qustion , i have same situation ,arriving so early morning to munich with my 2 kids .chek in is 3:00 pm i,m renting a car, so i,m thinking of heading olympic park, does it looklike bad idea??

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with morning traffic conditions at Munich and route to

Hi Mechil,

Olympiapark would be a nice idea provided we had access early in the morning however all the info I have found through their website indicate that it is acutally not opened until at 9:00am. So, at least for us, no tour at Olympiapark, or Nymphenburg. Please keep me informed should you find anything kids-friendly at the north of Munich area!

8. Re: Help with morning traffic conditions at Munich and route to

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2009, 06:16