We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oktoberfest

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds
11 posts
Save Topic
Oktoberfest

Hey

I was thinking about Oktoberfest next year (2010) for my stag do. There will be approximately 20 people including mostly friends (age 25 to 30) and a few uncles/dads(50+)

I am just beginning my research so any advice would be great, particularly accommodation, prices, transfers from airport etc....

Also, I understand that you need tickets for the beer halls and these can be quite tricky to get hold of??!! What happens if you don’t get a ticket, are there other places to go.

Like I said any info would be great.

Thanks JD

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,168 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oktoberfest

To enter the beer tents, you don't need tickets. Tickets are what you get when you reserve tables at a tent which are then exchanged for food and beer (prepayment). Tables are usually reserved for ten people, so this would work out well for you with twenty people and two tables. The beer tents should have websites where you can do this. When all seats are gone, they will not allow anymore people into the tents until some leave. Therefore, although it is theoretically possible for a few people to find seats at busy times, for a group of 20 without reservations it will be impossible, at least to sit together.

To get to from the airport to Munich, group (for 2-5 people) day tickets for the local transportation system would be cheapest. These will also cover all transportation for the day within the Munich Metropolitan area.

Visiting Munich at this time of year is expensive as I doubt that there are any discount flights to the actual Munich Airport, and hotel room prices skyrocket, probably doubling or tripling.

For a cheaper venture, you could go instead to Stuttgart ( www.stuttgart-tourist.de ) to the world's second largest beer festival, the Cannstatter Volksfest ( www.cannstatter-volksfest.de ). It starts a week later than Munich's, the large tents seat only 5000 versus Munich's 10000, it will have 4.6 million instead of 7 million visitors most of whom will be locals, there are more rides than Munich's, and unlike Munich, with a few exceptions very close to the fairgrounds, hotels do not practice price-gouging at this time. Stuttgart also has an airport which is a hub for several discount airlines such as Germanwings ( www.germanwings.com ) and TUIfly ( www.tuifly.com ) which have inexpensive flights to England, especially if booked early or during one of their frequent special fare sales. And I imagine Stuttgart, being where the automobile was invented, and with its excellent Mercedes Benz and Porsche Museums would appeal to the participants.

The Volksfest is opening tonight!!!!!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oktoberfest

I haven't been yet (next week I'll be there) and I can answer part of this one :)

There are no tickets to the beer tents. You can reserve a table in advance though since you have enough people. Refer to

http://www.oktoberfest.de/en/

If you don't have a reservation don't expect to get that many people together. You might if you go early and it is during the week.

You will find prices for hotels are higher during Oktoberfest than other times of the year. The most popular hotels can sell out a year in advance so once this years Oktoberfest is over you may want to start looking.

London, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oktoberfest

Just returned last night after being there four days as part of a group of 12. You will have an absolute blast there for a stag party, but will also have lots of problems keeping a group your size together. You will definitely have to split up to find seats.

4. Re: Oktoberfest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2010, 07:16