We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nymphenburg Palace Versus Residenz Palace

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
454 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Nymphenburg Palace Versus Residenz Palace

If a visitor to Munich had time to visit only one of the two palaces (Nymphenburg or Residenz), and had previously visited Versailes, Schonbrunn, and Hofburg, and Palacio Real, which do you believe would be more rewarding? Thanks for your opinions!

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Hotel Nymphenburg
Hotel Nymphenburg
170 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nymphenburg Palace Versus Residenz Palace

The Residenz.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nymphenburg Palace Versus Residenz Palace

Best if you did a google search and looked at the photos of each. Nymphenburg would be more of an 'Ausflug' destination... ie if you rented a bike and rode on a nice sunny day, then wanted to wander around the gardens out the back... on the way you would pass some beer gardens... the Residenz is bang in the centre of town and is thus more a one stop rokoko wet dream... I prefer Nymphenburg simply because its a nice destination for a bike ride and I get bored with over the top kinky gold decorations... each to their own. But Nyphenburg aint Versailles.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Nymphenburg
Hotel Nymphenburg
170 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Germany
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nymphenburg Palace Versus Residenz Palace

"had previously visited Versailes, Schonbrunn, and Hofburg, and Palacio Real"

Skip both.

San Diego
Level Contributor
88 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nymphenburg Palace Versus Residenz Palace

I recently went to both the Residenz & Nymphenburg and I’d go with the Residenz (although I can only compare them with Versailles). While I loved both of them I really loved the Residenz treasury and the fact that it was in the center of town. From the Residenz it is a short walk to Marienplaz & if you have extra time there is always something for you to check out in the area (lots of churches, places to eat & shop). Nymphenburg is more in the style of Versailles in that there aren’t too many rooms to see in the palace (although they are fantastic), but it is more about the grounds and leisurely strolling around. And, while it doesn’t take too long to get there (maybe 20 minutes) Nymphenburg is in a suburb area so there aren’t other sites nearby to see. Nymphenburg does have a great carriage museum though & I did enjoy the hunting lodge, but again if I only had time to do one I’d do the Residenz.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Nymphenburg
Hotel Nymphenburg
170 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
454 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nymphenburg Palace Versus Residenz Palace

Hmparrish

Thanks for the great comparison. I solved the problem--I am staying two extra days so I'll be able to see both (-: I have only one question--iwhy would you go anywhere if you live in San Diego? I love that city--second only to my former home for 20 years--San Francisco.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nymphenburg Palace Versus Residenz Palace

You can visit the Residenz treasury without actually visiting the Residenz itself. My wife really liked the Residenz and had the patience for it. I enjoyed some high spots but thought the tour route would never end. For me a walk along the Isar was much better than the Residenz. It does come down to personal taste. My tastes are evidently more like "KepinItReal's".

Regards, Gary

Freising, Germany
Level Contributor
29 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nymphenburg Palace Versus Residenz Palace

I agree with TriKist/Gary. The Residenz tour seems endless...Whereas the Nymphenburg I've visited 5 times with different visitors (I live in Munich) and would go back in a heartbeat. The castle is compact, and you can add on the carriage museum and the porcelain collection or even the hunting lodge if you need more. There is a great Bavarian restaurant right around the corner, and for kids (which I think the OP is not traveling with) the Nymph. has its own Natural History Museum with a small cafe that is a must for the young visitors.

The Residenz started to make me a bit ill with its millions of rooms and way too much guilded stuff. It really became ridiculous in its repetition, and I even had the headset to explain the details of each room. I left before the end. And that was after 2.5 hours of walking.

That said, the suggestion to see the treasury was a good one. I wish we had had the patience!!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Nymphenburg
Hotel Nymphenburg
170 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nymphenburg Palace Versus Residenz Palace

We visited the Residenz this June having done Schönbrunn and the Hofburg in April. And I still loved it! We also went out to Nymphenburg but only walked round the gardens (time question)

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Nymphenburg
Hotel Nymphenburg
170 Reviews
Munich, Germany
9. Re: Nymphenburg Palace Versus Residenz Palace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2010, 06:16