We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Question

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
448 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Train Question

In reading the Deutsches Bahn on line train schedule, the train we wish to take from Munich to Salzburg (Sunday, December 20 at 6:39 AM), the departing station reads Munchen Hbf GI 5-10 while many trains read only Munchen Hbf. Can someone tell me what the "GI 3-10" means? I hope it doesn't mean that this is a different locarion than the main train station. Thanks.

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Question

It means Gleis 5 to 10 or platforms 5 to 10. The primary platforms are 11 to 20 and most of the long distance trains arrive on them. The Munich station is one where the trains pull in and then have to reverse direction on the way out. So, if you have your back to the station and are facing the trains, platforms 5 to 10 are off on the left. You basically go to the last platform on the left and then have to walk down it some distance to the platforms 5 to 10. The way is well signed. Every time I've gone to Salzburg from Munich, the trains have left from those platforms.

Munich
Level Contributor
200 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Question

Here's a map of the Hauptbahnhof:

efa.mvv-muenchen.de/mvv/mvv/hauptbahnhof.pdf

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
448 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Question

Thank you so very much for the information and also for the map of the station. One last question-can you buy the Bayern Ticket the day before so as to not be quite so rushed in the early morning?

Munich
Level Contributor
200 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Question

Yes.

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
448 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Question

Thanks Marty!

I know this is presumptuous but if you have any answers you feel like giving to the questions I posted on the site under "arriving December 17," I sure would appreciate it. I hear that the weather is cold and snow and thats great--it adds to the experience. Hope you have a womnderful holiday season and thanks for the help. If you ever head over to New York, I'll answer your questions! (-:

Munich
Level Contributor
200 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Question

> If you ever head over to New York, I'll answer your questions! (-:

I should have known this 3 months ago ;-)

7. Re: Train Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2010, 05:18