We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Munich Trip Report

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Our Munich Trip Report

Munich

I'll try to make this concise as I find myself writing in much narrative detail (especially when I refer to my travel log) as evidenced in the Frankfurt and Bingen forum.

Beers - I liked them all!

Bitburger Pils - A little bitter. Tastes better from tap than bottle.

Spaten - A little bitter.

Augustiner - (at Oktoberfest) Very Good

Hofbrauhaus, Lowenbrau Weizen, Paulaner Weizen, Schneider Weizen all Good

We were in Munich Oct.3 -Oct.6. This was by far our favorite city during our vacation! Very easy to get around the city on the S-bahn or U-bahn trains. We bought the 3 day pass. We didn't use the busses or trams once we got use to taking the fast S-bahn. All 7 using one platform and coming every 1-2 minutes. What timing and coordination. At the HBf, there is a DB office separate from the main one where 2 English speaking agents can assist you with train tickets. The tourist info office is just outside in front and to the right if your exiting the train station. A clean city. Very dog friendly. By all means pack light. We had 2 large suitcases weighing 60 lbs each. Traveled for a month in 5 countries w/ wife and 2 little kids. Never had a problem on the trains finding space for it. The overhead rack does accomodate the large suitcases as long as you can lift them up there (my back)! If it doesn't fit in a carry on, don't bring it - will be my philosophy from now on.

Hotel

Stayed at Hotel Royal. Only a 5 minute walk from the Hauptbahnhof. It’s on Schillerstrasse, a somewhat busy street. There’s a s*x toy shop and a nudie bar club on the street. We found it humerous our 4-year old son commented he did like the bre*asts of the woman on the poster in front of the club everytime we passed it. The hotel is non-smoking. My wife had to have her occasional cigarette on the sidewalk, right in front of the hotel. She thinks she was propositioned in German a few times. She always had her gameface on. Nothing ever happened. Everyone at the reception desk spoke English, were helpful and open 24 hours. Decent breakfast of breads, rolls, cold cuts, jams, eggs, cereal, juices and coffee. Free use of a computer to use the internet/e-mail. Room was clean. Has tv. Bathroom small, w/hairdryer. Furniture was worn but clean. No problem sleeping on the bed in regard to soft/hardness. Small elevator. Would stay here again. We were allocated a room on the 7th floor. Elevator to 6 then take stairs to 7. I asked for a room on a lower floor and got it without any problem.

Oktoberfest

After checking in at the hotel, we got there in the afternoon around 16:00 on the last day. I didn't even see the ticket punch machines by the escalator on the S-bahn, there were so many people. The S-bahn was shoulder to shoulder. Very short trip from the hauptbahnhof. It reminded me of summerfest in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Went into the Augustiner tent by the exit from the S-bahn. I thought we were in the big tent at the time. We walked slowly along the wall and saw a family leaving and took there place. Had a couple liters of Augustiner, several large pretzels and ½ a chicken, joined in the toasts and a few songs with the people at our table who spoke English. Nice party atmosphere. After a couple hours, we walked around the grounds. Went on the bumper cars with my son. Popped in the other tents to see what they looked like, all of which were packed. Surprised and funny to hear the o-lay, o-lay.... o-laaay, o-laaay song being sung in the Hofbrauhaus tent. Then I saw the big Augustiner tent. It was HUGE, as all the others were. We were actually in the small (if you can call it that) Augustiner tent earlier. Started raining and only stayed another hour. There were numerous amusement park rides you could go on. We saw fish on a stick for sale. Is it tasty? Only thing that pissed me off was we were leaving and a man walking by himself (I think he was drunk and stupid)was pushing hard on men's shoulders who were walking toward him. He took me by surprise. I looked behind me as he passed and he did it to the man walking behind me. We both looked at each other in bewilderment. Anyway, would like to make this a yearly event until the kids get school aged (only 2 more years). Or we could leave the kids at home w/relatives as the wife and I take off for 2 weeks (LOL). We enjoyed it very much.

Sightseeing

All the sights we saw were relatively close to each other. We saw the Glockenspiel and Neues Rathaus at Marienplatz. The elevator may have been broken/there was a sign on it and was not running and all the doors to the stairways were locked, so we were unable to go to the top of the Rathaus that afternoon. Viktualienmarkt is a wonderful place. We had our lunches there cheaply and also interacted with a few of the locals. They were commenting how the kids look more like poppy than mommy. We bought sandwiches and fruit from one of the many vendors and ate at one of the tables in the beer garden under the trees. I also drank the Spaten beer for sale there. Walked along Weinstr./Theatiner str to Hofgarten and also saw Residenz. Neuhauser and Kaufinger strasse are the pedestrian/shopping streets we walked a few times. There are a few restaurants with outdoor seating/beer garden areas here that I wish we had time for. I saw Schneider’s Weisse Brewery Outlet that someone recommended on TA, but did not go inside as it was difficult to hop from one place to another to have a beer and something to eat (there are too many restaurants/bars to do this), since we were with the kids. We also went inside Frauenkirche. My son enjoyed the numerous painted lion statues on display throughout the area and took a few pictures of them. Can someone tell me the significance of rubbing the foot of the Bronze Lion statue by the Residenz? We saw several people doing this, so we did as well and took a picture. We only had 1 ½ days to explore this area so we didn’t go inside any museums. We just spent the time walking, eating, drinking, and relaxing and taking many pictures. We can’t wait to come back and allocate more time for our visit.

Dachau – We spent a few hours at the memorial site. Very easy to get to on the S-Bahn and once there you take a bus to the site. Rented an audioguide. We walked around the grounds, the crematory, and the museum. You can spend several hours in the museum if you take your time reading the captions under all the pictures and personal items on display. Difficult to spend time here with a baby and toddler as he wants to run and can’t sit still very long. So we took turns walking through the museum and only spent about 20-30 minutes each inside.

Dining

Had dinner at Ratskeller restaurant at Marienplatz. Didn't see a receptionist. We walked to the back room and asked someone for a table. Nice restaurant. They have several rooms you can sit in. Our waitress was very nice. I had an assorted bratwurst platter and my wife had the duck which was good. Kids enjoyed it. I bought a souvenir beer glass that later broke on the flight home.

We dined the last night at Hofbrauhaus. Typical German fare, I think. Touristy. Ommpa band was playing. Shared our table with a group of 6 who were from California. Had a good time. Upstairs the show was going on (another oompa band). Have to pay 5 euro just to go inside. They also have a buffet if you're hungry, but costs extra. Stairs going up are outside the restaurant off to the side. We skipped the show.

Had coffee and apple struedel at Cafe Glockenspiel one afternoon. Nice coffee house/restaurant. It's on the 4th or 5th floor of the building directly across from the Glockenspiel at Marienplatz. Take the elevator up to the restaurant. We sat in the room across from the glockenspiel and timed it so it chimed while we were there. It was difficult to hear with the windows closed, but you could see the figures moving. Spent an hour sipping on coffee and relaxing.

Had to try bratwurst! So I went to Bratwurstglockl am Dom. The bratwurst were finger-size and very tasty. I enjoyed them with my sauerkraut, pretzel and beer especially when the bells of the Dom were ringing loudly (wow, what an experience)! The area seemed to me a little secluded. There wasn't much pedestrian traffic. It’s just around the corner(west) and down a small street from Marienplatz. My wife left me alone to enjoy my bratwurst (we just came from cafe glockenspiel) while she went shopping just around the corner. The employee at the tourist info office at Marienplatz told me how to get there.

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Munich Trip Report

Great post...makes me want to return to Germany!

Maine
Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Munich Trip Report

Great trip report. We leave for Munich next wed.

DM

Prittlbach, Germany
Level Contributor
574 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Munich Trip Report

Great report, glad you had a good time! FYI rubbing the bronze lion in front of the Residenz is supposed to bring good luck, so it's never a bad idea to do it if you pass by.

Bavaria
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Munich Trip Report

BTW, Bitburger is no Munich beer, although famous in Germany. It comes from Bitburg ( Eifel ) close to Belgium.

Houston, TX
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Munich Trip Report

May I ask how much was the room for all four of you? We have a 3 yr old and 6 month old and i was wondering how they charge for kids. THanks

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Munich Trip Report

Great report! The thought of you hoisting those heavy suitcases onto the overhead on the trains makes MY back hurt. I was there a couple of weeks ago and just kept my suitcase at my side...was afraid I would konk someone on the head. Everyone in Europe seems to travel so much lighter than we Americans....

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our Munich Trip Report

I just realized your report is dated 2005! Have you been there since then??

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our Munich Trip Report

fatimzz - I booked a double/doppelzimmer for the four of us. Our kids at that time were 1.5 and almost 4 years old. For the 3 nights it cost 198 Euro at Hotel Royal. We brought one of those inflatable mattresses for little kids and that's where our 4 year old slept. Would never do that again because it makes the luggage much heavier!! I would consider that bed a Full and not really a Queen size mattress that we slept on (not that there's much difference). Made sleeping for the 2 of us and the baby a little tight. I should have asked for a crib ahead of time but didn't.

I've also booked a triple room in other cities but it's a little more expensive (sometimes they put you in a quad or there might be an extra trundle bed, if the hotel has the room). If there is no option to indicate you are with children on the hotel's or 3rd party website, call them (suggest to use a prepaid calling card for overseas) to see if there is a child rate for a triple. I've also asked for extra roll away beds for our last trip in 2006. I've used hrs.de website for a couple German hotels and am satisfied with them.

KG - Hi. Good to hear from you. We were in Munich last December 2006 for several hours. Took the night train from Florence, had several hours in Munich and then on to Stuttgart. So we killed the time by walking through the Christmas Market at Marienplatz and a walk through Viktualienmarkt. It was soooo cold that morning. Love that Viktualienmarkt. Wish we had more time...oh well..

With the Euro exchange rate being 1-1.48 and our oldest son just starting Kindergarten, it might be a few years before we return ;-(

The Chicago ChristkindlMarket started last night and we were there for a couple hours. Having some spiced wine, KinderEggs, a Bratwurst and Leberkase with kraut, and talking to a German couple from Berlin made us wish we were back in Germany right now.

Padova
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Our Munich Trip Report

Bitburger should be from Trier. I hate it, Spaten is much better!

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our Munich Trip Report

Hi Suburbanite....Glad you are still around...yes our travel days slowed down too when our kids went to school. Last child graduated from college in June so I am off again....spent 2 weeks in S. Africa... stopped for a week in Germany on the way home to the US....nearly froze to death with the climate change.