We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oktoberfest, is it worth a trip to Munich alone?

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
854 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Oktoberfest, is it worth a trip to Munich alone?

I've got a few questions about visiting Munich during Oktoberfest.

Is Oktoberfest worth visiting Munich alone? The reason I ask is that my best mate said it was amazing. However, is it worth the extra costs in flights to Munich, hotel, etc?

Would visiting the O'fest enhance ones experience of the city?

I know it's not the be all and end all of Munich but reading a lot of posts seems to suggest so. A lot of Americans are prepared to cross the Atlantic, is it really worth it for a beer festival? I mean Munich and Bavaria already has a strong beer tradition.

I'm going to visit Munich for the first time in three weeks and I cannot wait. I'm happy to go to beerhalls and beer gardens (if open).

I feel that it best to go to Munich first outside of O'fest to see more of the city and surrounding areas. Whereas, my mate reckons it's best to go to O'fest on your first visit in case you don't have the chance to go again.

I'm rambling a bit but I do wonder what other people think?

Thanks Brez

london
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Oktoberfest, is it worth a trip to Munich alone?

sorry, somehow it came in twice.

Sure you need to see the city itself, you'll love it. And for the slight glimpse on how O'Fest may look like go to Hofbräuhouse, preferably at weekend - it's about 10% of Oktoberfest.

22. Re: Oktoberfest, is it worth a trip to Munich alone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2010, 05:16