We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic villages 1 to 2 hours from Salzburg

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic villages 1 to 2 hours from Salzburg

We are in the process of planning a family vacation. We will be staying in Salzburg for a few nights and would like to take a drive into Germany for a day or an overnight stay. I do not really want to drive in any very large cities, but would be happy to park the car on the outskirts of perhaps Munchen and then take public transport to the city (if this is possible).

Otherwise, can anyone suggest a German village not too far from Salzburg to visit?

Thanks for any advice.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,109 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic villages 1 to 2 hours from Salzburg

I'd recommend Koenigssee, with a trip of the glacial lake; and Reit im Winkl for the general ambience.

For Munich, the biggest pain is the autobahn from Salzburg, with its trucks. Not a problem but a little stressful if you feel the need to rush. You can find park and rides near several S bahn stations, or otherwise take the train all the way using the Bavaria ticket. It's cheaper than the car.

Edited: 27 April 2010, 13:59
Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic villages 1 to 2 hours from Salzburg

Thank you very much. Have now looked at both of your suggestions. The second village seems to have more possibilities for overnight accommodations. Looks very pretty. Are either of these villages close to any commerce? From first glances, they look quite rural - which is fine, as long as I know that in advance.

Any other suggestions?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic villages 1 to 2 hours from Salzburg

Half way between Salzburg and Munich is the Chiemsee. You can take boats from near Prien to both Herrenchiemsee with Ludwig II's version of Versailles, and to the nextdoor Fraueninsel, site of a former convent and a small village. Perhaps an interesting trip with some different things to see.

Although in Austria, Werfen to Salzburg's south has an excellent old castle and above town are the excellent ice caves.

The suggestion for visiting the Koenigssee and a boat ride on it is excellent. Returning from such a trip one afternoon we stumbled upon a free outdoor concert in Bad Reichehnhall, lovely scenery to accompany the music.

Edited: 27 April 2010, 15:14
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic villages 1 to 2 hours from Salzburg

A pretty little village 45 minutes north of Salzburg is F*cking, Austria.

Okay, I've never been there, but what a great name.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic villages 1 to 2 hours from Salzburg

Too funny Bavaria...

Thanks Marco. Werfen looks just wonderful and so many lovely places to stay overnight to enjoy the scenery, though it is so close to Salzburg, it looks like an easy day trip.

I am slowly but surely putting together our travel plan. At first glance, it looks like this:

One night stay in either Mulhouse or Srasbourg (is really just a driving stopover).

Drive to a yet determined village in Germany. Perhaps visit Munchen. Stay overnight somewhere.

Next day drive to Salzburg. Stay 2 or 3 nights (haven't decided where)

Drive to Vienna - stay 2 or 3 nights (haven't decided where)

Drive to either Prague or Ljubljana and stay a couple of nights.

Then head back home.

Obviously, it is still a working plan, but if anyone sees any obvious flaws, or has any suggestions, please let me know.

Gold Bar, Washington
Level Contributor
584 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic villages 1 to 2 hours from Salzburg

"would be happy to park the car on the outskirts of perhaps Munchen and then take public transport to the city (if this is possible)".

Yes is possible if driving is what you prefer you can stay in any town along S7 Kreuzstraße sbahn end or S3 Holzkirchen sbahn end (these sbahns are close to freeway A8 from Salzburg and are before Munich).

link to ubahn and sbahn map

mvv-muenchen.de/web4archiv/objects/download/…

If you take train you can stay in Munich.

The other suggestions are very good Koenigssee with boat ride to church and Herrenchiemsee.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,432 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic villages 1 to 2 hours from Salzburg

If you decide on Munich at Neuperlach Süd on the U5 U-Bahn there is a park and Ride (5mins on 1 straight road from the Unterhaching exit of the A8 Autobahn)

Being the underground runs more often. The U5 goes direct to Karlsplatz/Stacchus at the top of Neuhauserstrasse in the centre of Munich (or you can get off at Odeonsplatz and walk to Marienplatz)

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic villages 1 to 2 hours from Salzburg

Bavaria... I think your humour was lost in translation... hehe... better not recommend the village of W a n k which is about 30 km away from Fuessen. Question is,,, which village comes first on the itinerary? :)

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Scenic villages 1 to 2 hours from Salzburg

Let me throw another village into the mix: Reit im Winkl. It's a picture postcard village in Bavaria, right at the Austrian border. Look it up on the Internet.

To get there, you drive from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden on the B-305 in Germany. There the B-305 becomes part of the Deutsche Alpenstrasse. It is a beautiful drive on a good road It will take you right to Reit. Will take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Quite a number of hotels, B&B's (Pensionen) and Rooms to Rent (Zimmer Frei) in Reit,. also a resort with golf course etc. right across the border, in Austria, the Peternhof. They also have a website. Peternhof address is Koessen/Tirol

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scenic villages 1 to 2 hours from Salzburg

Does it need to be in Germany? ( althought you've posted this on the Germany forum!)

I could suggest Hallstatt (Salzkammergut area) in Austria. Its an adorable quaint place!