We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

S & U Bhan users are trustworthy!

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
S & U Bhan users are trustworthy!

Wow, well after my long weekend in Munich I thought I would pop a short post on here about the U and S bhan. On arrival at the airport I got a ticket to Nordfriedhof for the day and ended up buying a 3 day pass for the rest of my time.

I noticed that not once on all the times I used the S & U bhan did anyone actually check I had a ticket or are there any barriers at any of the tube stations? Is everyone from Munich so trustworthy that they aren't needed?

I hasten to add I always had a valid ticket, but this system seems it could be open to abuse?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,648 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: S & U Bhan users are trustworthy!

> Is everyone from Munich so trustworthy that they aren't needed?

There are sufficient trustworthy people that the system works in this way with some arbitraty controls. You could not be checked for a week - or three times a day. Fines if cought without a valid ticket are steep and repeated offenders will end up before court.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: S & U Bhan users are trustworthy!

Thats interesting. Its nice that people are trusted and are trustworthy. I do think that if this was in process in London then the underground would lose a lot of money as everyone would take advantage .......

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,966 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: S & U Bhan users are trustworthy!

>I do think that if this was in process in London then the underground would lose a lot of money as everyone would take advantage .......

I don't think so. You were there just for a few days and didn't get caught. You never know whether there are inspectors on the way, and it is very unpleasant and expensive to be caught. As abalada pointed out, repeated offenders go before court and may end up in jail. It worls sufficiently as a deterrent. You also need to think that the barriers etc. generate additional costs which may easily outweigh the cost generated by a few free-riders.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
11,030 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: S & U Bhan users are trustworthy!

In 18years in Munich I have been asked to show my ticket twice. Once on a tram at 6:30am and once on the S-Bahn from Marienplatz to Ostbahnhof

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,871 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: S & U Bhan users are trustworthy!

I think that the authorities schedule their random ticket inspections so that the fines more than equal the lost revenues from nonpayment of the tickets and the cost of enforcement. They are well aware of the number of fines given compared to the number of riders. This system is not only for Munich but for all of Germany.

I've gone for months in Stuttgart without being checked, and then also have been checked as many as three times in one day. And they do check all routes, not just the most ridden, as I've been the only passenger on a bus with two ticket inspectors and the driver! Note that the ticket inspectors work in at least pairs, because of the violence done to them by some nonpaying riders! They're not interested in any excuses, but in levying fines. They sometimes in the evenings even have sweeps at stations where hundreds of fines may be levied for none paying riders.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: S & U Bhan users are trustworthy!

@ Altamiro: Just to confirm my post, I DID buy a ticket for my entire stay, so please do not imply that I didn't get caught, because I always had a valid ticket, personally I don't risk it.

The number of times I get shoved through a barrier in London because someone hasn't bought a ticket, I just thought it was a refreshing change when in Munich.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,506 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: S & U Bhan users are trustworthy!

It's one of those situations where the time you don't have a ticket is the time you see an inspector. :-)

I've been asked to show it a few times, maybe on average three times in 30 days so 10% and I was always told you get a steep fine and no excuses. I've seen tourists getting fined for not stamping their ticket because they didn't know to validate it, that's a bit unfair as they paid but that's the rules..

But I do also think Muncheners seem civilised compared to the London Tube.

Stoofer

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,966 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: S & U Bhan users are trustworthy!

>Just to confirm my post, I DID buy a ticket for my entire stay, so please do not imply that I didn't get caught, because I always had a valid ticket, personally I don't risk it.

Sorry, what I meant was that you weren't controlled.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: S & U Bhan users are trustworthy!

...welcome to a civilised country...

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: S & U Bhan users are trustworthy!

So they do have to check. So people do try to steal the services, just like everywhere else in the world.