We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neuschwanstein Trip Report

Preston, Lancs
Level Contributor
47 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Neuschwanstein Trip Report

Having followed all of the great advice on this forum, I thought I would share our experience of our trip to Neuschwanstein.

We pre-booked our tickets online which I would definately recommend. The queue for non-reservations was huge and we simply walked to the front of the separate reservations entrance which had no queue at all. The extra couple of Euros to reserve your tickets is well worth it!

We caught the train from the HBF direct to Fussen. As we were travelling on a Sunday, there were no restrictions on the times we could travel and so we bought the bayern ticket at the ticket window which was really straightforward - 28 Euros I think and we were told what platform we needed. The train takes about 2 hours and ends at Fussen. We then caught the bus from directly outside the Station up to the Hoschwangau (bayern ticket also covers the bus).

From the drop off point, its a couple of mins walk up to the ticket office. We collected our tickets and as the shuttle bus wasn't running during our visit we walked up to the castle. It is quite steep but is fine at a steady pace(and you don't need walking shows unless you follow one of the trails off the main path). It took us about 25mins to reach the castle. We then walked up to Marienbrucke (another 15mins) - which is where the shuttle bus would normally drop people off - in order to view the castle from the bridge. Note that the bridge is not good for people who are afraid of heights! However, the views of the castle from here are amazing and I would thoroughly recommend making sure that you get to the bridge.

Note that there is a small bit of scaffolding on the castle but it isn't really noticable and certainly doesn't tarnish the overall stunning views or your photos. I think that the scaffolding is being done in small chunks and won't be finished until sometime in 2011.

It was then time for our allocated tour. You need to wait in the courtyard of the castle entrance. Your ticket has a number on it and once it comes up on the screen, you put it into the ticket machine and go into the castle. Make sure that you are there on time, otherwise you will miss your slot. The castle is very ornate and beautiful inside, although you can't take any pictures of the interior. You are only allowed to take pictures of the views from the windows. There are great views of Marienbrucke from inside the courtyard too. The tour lasts around 30min and there were about 25 people on our tour. You don't get long to ponder in each room as there are other tours both in front and behind you.

We then had some lunch and waited for the bus to take us back to the train station. However, the bus was late and we thought that we would miss the train. However, luckily, they held the train at the station until the bus had arrived. The train was very busy, although we did manage to get a seat. On the way back, we had to change in Buchloe which is really easy. Basically you get off one train and then get on another from the platform opposite.

Given the high costs of arranged tours to Neuschwanstein, I really don't think that its worth the extra cost. It is really easy to get there by train and would fully advocate travelling there independently.

We really enjoyed our trip and thought it was truely a fairy tale castle. Would definately recommend a trip out there if you have the time.

Pompano Beach, FL
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neuschwanstein Trip Report

I'm a little concerned hearing that the bus up to the castle wasn't running. Do you know why? We are going in December and none of us (all 4) are youngsters and thought we would take the bus or the horse carriage as far as it goes and then walk from there but walking all the way up doesn't thrill me. Was the horse carriage available do you know when you were there? Thanks for the info.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,091 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neuschwanstein Trip Report

Thanks for posting your report. It seems like all worked out well for you.

I have only seen the shuttle run once in the 4 times I've been there. We have taken the horse carriage a couple of times. One time we walked and stopped at the restaurant on the way up for something to eat.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,938 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neuschwanstein Trip Report

Can you tell me how long the bus ride was from Fussen to Hohenschwangau? My sister tends to get motion sickness if traveling too long.

Thanks, Donna

Preston, Lancs
Level Contributor
47 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neuschwanstein Trip Report

The shuttle bus wasn't running as there were roadworks I think. Not sure whether this would be a factor in December.

The horsedrawn carriages were operating but there was a large queue - prob longer than normal given the bus wasn't running. If you can't do the walk up, just make sure you factor in time queuing for either the bus or carriage and you should be fine.

The journey from the station to the castle only takes about 10-15mins tops.

Pompano Beach, FL
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neuschwanstein Trip Report

Thanks Parkin for the update. I'm hoping there won't be as many people in December but who knows! It will be Christmas time so there may be a lot so will factor in the time for carriage ride up. Glad to hear it was an option though. Thanks!

Muenster, Germany
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Neuschwanstein Trip Report

Thanks for posting this! Really helpful as I plan to go there next month. I just checked the website for booking the ticket. Does the ticket price already include the guided tour fee? Which castle is more worth a visit if I plan to spend only half a day? Or is it enough to cover both?

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,091 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Neuschwanstein Trip Report

When you buy your ticket it will have a time on it. Hopefully you can pick the time you want. Yes, it does include the guided tour. Most people go to Neuschwanstein as it is the most famous. A half a day is not enough time to do both castles.

Maryland
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Neuschwanstein Trip Report

Timing would have to be perfect to see both castles in 1/2 day, but it doesn't take anywhere near a full day either.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
140 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Neuschwanstein Trip Report

I dont understand why online ticket purchase could only be done 24hours before the visit day. Why cant it be like 1-2 weeks? Do they accept Asia credit card for prebooking of the tickets?

los angeles CA
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Neuschwanstein Trip Report

Thetengster

You have it backwards.Online reservations are possible until one day before your visit.

Reservation only valid after receiving confirmation in writing(or email). They ask that you bring in the written conformation to present to the ticket office. I would make the reservation at least two work days before to insure they get back to you with the written conformation(via email). You pick your time/language and they give you the closest tour time to your request. There is a charge per person for the reservation, even for children, who are free for castle entrance. But it was worth it to us as there was no line for reserved ticket pickup. There was a long switchback line for walk up ticket purchase.

We were there on a Sunday in July. The bus was not running. There was a sign that the bus was canceled due to weather. It was not raining, but threatening.

It is possible to see both castles in 1/2 day. They schedule you to have one hour between tours. The tours are short-less than an hour.

We had lunch after our tour at the restaurant/hotel near Neuschwanstein castle entrance. It was reasonably priced and surprisingly good. 20 years ago we stayed there overnight, but now it gets terrible reviews as a hotel.