We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I buy Bayern Ticket in advance?

Level Contributor
637 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Can I buy Bayern Ticket in advance?

I plam to take a few daytrips from Munich and would like to use the Bayern day pass for these trips. Can I buy the Bayern ticket in advance and then use it on the day I take my trip? I think I will have to stamp it, just one, upon first use for the day?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,830 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I buy Bayern Ticket in advance?

You can buy it online, but you have to buy for a specific date. No stamping required. There is however no real advantage of buying a Bayern Ticket online. The price is the same if you buy from a ticket machine.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Bamberg

and select as means of transport "only local transport".

Only the date is important. And the numbers of travlers, i.e. one for a Bayern Ticket Single or 2 and more for a Bayern Ticket. The connection plays no role - it's just needed that the timetable offers you a Bayern Ticket as a savings fare option.

Level Contributor
637 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I buy Bayern Ticket in advance?

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

I used the link you gave me to experiment and see how it works online by selecting only local transport and then the 20 euro savings fare displays.

However, if I buy the Bayern ticket from a ticket machine at the station, how will I know which trains are allowed on this ticket for my trip. Only regional trains are allowed, I thnk, so they would have RE, RB, or IRE identifying the train? I don't thnk RJ trains are regional trains? I suppoose I would need to check on the board displayed at the station to identify these trains.

The other option would be to buy it from the ticket counter and ask which track the next regional train wuold be leaving from for my destination. Or else print and take some printouts of schedules for the daytrips for which I plan to use the Bayern ticket, selecting only local transport, as you mentioned.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I buy Bayern Ticket in advance?

>However, if I buy the Bayern ticket from a ticket machine at the station, how will I know which trains are allowed on this ticket for my trip. Only regional trains are allowed, I thnk, so they would have RE, RB, or IRE identifying the train?

Yes, it will be on the platform display and most probably in some form on the train (older trains would have a board on each car stating the train number and destination, many new ones have electronic head displays)

Basically, all DB regional trains are red with a white stripe. All DB long-distance trains are white with a red stripe. Careful with teh RailJet, it has Austrian color scheme which is dark red - don't confuse it with the regional trains.

then you may have non-DB local trains like ALX which also accept the Bayern Ticket, but look a bit different. If in doubt, simply ask the next person in uniform, or if none is present, the next person on the platform.

>I don't thnk RJ trains are regional trains?

Nope.

>I suppoose I would need to check on the board displayed at the station to identify these trains.

The big electronic departure boards in big stations, the paper departure and arrival plans (yellow/white) in any station, and also many trains have electronic or printed designation on them.

>The other option would be to buy it from the ticket counter and ask which track the next regional train wuold be leaving from for my destination.

Please don't clog the counters, the lines are long as they are already. There is an information service (mostly somewhere very obvious like in the middle of the main hall) in any large station, where they answer questions but don't sell tickets.

>Or else print and take some printouts of schedules for the daytrips for which I plan to use the Bayern ticket, selecting only local transport, as you mentioned.

This would be the easiest way IMO.

Level Contributor
637 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I buy Bayern Ticket in advance?

Thnaks a lot, altamiro, for taking the time to answer all my questions and give me additional very helpful informaiton. Getting hep from people like you on these forums is such a great help to me and make it possible for me to travel solo in Europe with confidence.

Belfast
Level Contributor
39 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I buy Bayern Ticket in advance?

Hi,

Could someone please advise - if I book Bayern Ticket online it asks me to identify specific times for journeys - if I purchase a ticket at a machine in the station will I be able to take any trin or just purchase the ticket for specific timings?

thanks

Maryann

6. Re: Can I buy Bayern Ticket in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2011, 06:57