We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport Travel Time from Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle?

Level Contributor
625 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Transport Travel Time from Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle?

In order to pre-book tickets to visit Neuschwanstein Castle, one has to do an approximate calculation of how long it would take for the entire trip from Munich to the castle so as not to miss one's time-slot.

Can someone who has done this trip from Munich using a Bayern ticket (Regional trains) give me an idea of how much time you allowed for the trip? I am debating between doing the trip by myself or booking with a tour company.

I thank you in advance

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport Travel Time from Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle?

do it yourself... more fun...

Level Contributor
625 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport Travel Time from Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle?

Yes, but to do it myself I need to pre-book my ticket and I am trying to establish travel time from Munich to the castle (train+bus+walk) to know for what time to book my ticket.

I would appreicate if anyone could help me with this? Thanks.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport Travel Time from Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle?

why prebook a ticket? you can buy them onsite... more flexibility...

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,503 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport Travel Time from Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle?

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Hohenschwangau

and select as means of transport "only local transport".

The bus stop Hohenschwangau is close to the ticket center. You need to collect your reserved tickets latest 1 hour before the tour starts.Thus leave at least 1,25 hours between arrival at Hohenchwangau and the castle tour.

Bayern Ticket covers the whole route, inclusive the buses from Füssen to Hohenschwangau. Only disadvantage is that you can start on a weekday only past 9am in Munich. On Sa or Su you don't have this restriction.

Level Contributor
625 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport Travel Time from Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle?

Thank you very much abalada.

Preston, Lancs
Level Contributor
47 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport Travel Time from Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle?

Based on our experience in July, DO NOT wait until you get there to get your tickets. You will end up queuing for a long time. We pre-booked our tickets for a couple of euros more and got the time we wanted and walked straight to the front of the reservation queue to pick up our tickets.

northern virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport Travel Time from Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle?

Having just returned from Germany, I would definitely pre-book your Neuschwanstein tour, if you are pressed for time. Three separate Germans in Munich we asked said pre-booking wasn't necessary. Anyway, we drove there from Munich (it took just under 2 hours), got in line for tickets at about 12:30 and got on a tour for Hohenschwangau at 3:30 pm and Neuschwanstien at 6 pm. The parking was a nightmare, and this was mid week. You really must see Hohenschwangau, though! I have been to N. three previous times and never visited H. but it is such an happy, light-filled place in comparison.

Iowa
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport Travel Time from Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle?

My sister and I just did this on our own last March and it was really simple.

We bought tickets to Kaufbauren for each of us. We also bought a Bayern Ticket. We left the Munich Hbf at 7;42 and took the train heading towards Kaufring. We switched trains in Buchloe (very easy switch between Track 4 and 5) and continued on the train. Kaufbauren is a stop on this train at 8:59. Our purchased tickets got us this far, then we started using the Bayern Ticket (you do not need to change trains, just use the new ticket) stay on this train until you get to Fuessen. There you can get on a bus to the castles (you can use your Bayern Ticket for the bus too) then you can go visit both of the castles.

I had reserved tickets for 11:45 since they need to be picked up an hour before, but when we got there it really wasn't busy so we were able to get on a 10:50 tour, putting us almost an hour ahead of schedule and allowing us to make an unexpected trip to the Wieskirche too.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport Travel Time from Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle?

Hi stac34,

I'm also planning a trip to the castle around nov. Is it advisable to prebook the ticket in adv? may I know where did you gals go to make reservation for the tickets? Via their official website ? Anyway, do u suggest I based my stay at fussen or Munich if I'm also going to lake Constance.

Thks

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,503 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport Travel Time from Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle?

> Is it advisable to prebook the ticket in adv?

Did you read the answers?

Reserve directly with the ticket center for Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castle:

www.hohenschwangau.de/ticketcenter0.0.html

If you proceed to Lake Constance I would recommend to stay in Füssen and not to return to Munich. Railroad map Bavaria

bahnland-bayern.de/content-startseite/linien…