We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central place to stay in Munich?

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Central place to stay in Munich?

My wife and I will be taking our first trip to Munich next June and I am trying to narrow down which area would be the best to stay. We are looking for something that is somewhat centrally located to some attractions, great restaurants and easily excessible to transportation in getting to other attractions.

Is there an area that is ideal to be that is central in the city and then one could venture around or would it be better to stay on the sides of town and journey in?

As for us, we are early 30's, foodies, enjoy the smaller family run boutique type hotels and enjoy walking around for our nightlife experience versus night clubs. Hope that may help in pinpointing what we may be looking for.

Any help is appreciated.

-David

North Carolina
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central place to stay in Munich?

Hi David,

Your description sounds quite a lot like me and my husband. We stayed at Louis Hotel during our recent trip to Munich, and we couldn't have been more pleased. It's a great boutique-style hotel, and the location was absolutely perfect -- right near Marienplatz, and directly across from the Viktualienmarkt. The U-bahn is very close, for the times that you want to venture outside the city center, but we used it only once or twice -- we spent most of our time within a walkable distance from the hotel, so I am really glad that we decided to stay in the center.

Michelle

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central place to stay in Munich?

Definitely stay in the center of the city. Lots of good hotels right by the Central train station! Easy access to everywhere from there!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Central place to stay in Munich?

If you concentrate your search for hotels within a couple blocks of the Marienplatz you will all set.

If you go to the hotel section here on TA and then use the map there. Zoom in on the Marienplatz and take a look at the reviews for the hotels that come up.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central place to stay in Munich?

Best area depends on who you ask and what your budget will stretch to. Locals find the area around the main station a bit stale but budget tourists like this area for price. I would always recommend the triangular area between Rosenheimer Platz SBahn and the 2 UBahn stops of Sendlinger Tor and Universitaet. Check it out.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Central place to stay in Munich?

I don't consider myself a "budget tourist" but we do stay near the main station, at either Sofitel Bayerpost or LeMeridien. Both are 5 star hotels and often available for good prices, so lots of bang for the buck. We have no problems with the neighborhood.

The Hotel Louis looks fab but for us, not worth twice the price of the Sofitel. For the same cost, I would stay there though.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central place to stay in Munich?

That's a very good point. We actually stayed at the Sofitel for one night before catching our train to Prague (after leaving Munich for a couple days, so we had already checked out from Louis anyway). Sofitel was definitely swankier than Louis, the hotel has more of a luxury feel to it. And being close to the train station is very convenient, especially with luggage. It is cheaper than Louis, although for the dates we stayed, the difference was pretty small -- only about 25 Euro, I think.

When we return to Munich, I'll be checking both places. I'd still be willing to pay a small premium for the location of Louis, but if it is beyond my budget next time, I'd be thrilled if I can get the Sofitel for a decent rate again.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Central place to stay in Munich?

Hi all,

We are in the same situation as the OP. We will be driving into Munich next month and were originally booked at the Le Meridien, but after reading a little on the forum are thinking of changing our mind. I know the Le Meridien is a great hotel on the inside; but we like to be able to walk out the doors and be able to walk to restaurants and be in the middle of attractions. From what I understand the area around the main train station is not very desirable.

We are not trying to change our booking from the Le Meridien to either Hotel Louis or Hotel Platzl.

Do you think the area around either the Louis or Platzl will be better? Is there that much difference between the area around the main train station and where these hotels are located?

Thanks for the help.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Central place to stay in Munich?

"From what I understand the area around the main train station is not very desirable. "

I do not agree but that is my opinion. There are a number of restaurants and cafes within a very close walk and Marienplatz is ten minutes away by foot. I have stayed several times at Le Meridien and several at Sofitel and will continue to book at either, depending on the rate. We find them to be a great value as well as very well located for everything we need.

Different strokes...

North Carolina
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Central place to stay in Munich?

There's nothing bad about the area around the train station, but I found the area to be a bit boring. To me, it felt like it could have been any city in Europe, whereas near Marienplatz, you will never forget that you are in Munich. When you step out the front door of the Louis Hotel, you are literally standing in the middle of a vibrant market. That's pretty cool. And even though you could get to that same market in under 10 minutes if you stay in a different neighborhood, it's not quite the same feeling as being in the center of everything. Every single time we left our hotel, I had the same reaction of "Wow, I can't believe we're here."

When I'm trying to decide where to stay, I print out a bunch of maps and start marking them up with everything we want to see and do -- sights, museums, restaurants, cafes, beer gardens, etc. Then I try to figure out where we'll likely be spending most of our time, and that's where I start my hotel search. If my interests are scattered around the city, then I focus on being close to public transportation and easy access to everywhere else. So if you are planning to do several day trips from Munich, then being close to the train station could have a big advantage. But for our interests, staying in the center made the trip really special, and I'm very happy we decided to splurge a little to be so close to the action.

So, in short, the neighborhoods really aren't that far from each other, so you'd do well either way. But yes, they really are different enough from each other that, in my opinion, it's worth it to consider staying near Marienplatz. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

Guangzhou
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Central place to stay in Munich?

Try the Citadines Apartment chain in Arnulfpark. I had stayed in their Apt in HK and China. It is clean n comfortable hotel like home stay. I am booking to stay in the apt on the coming first week of Oct. Looked at their site for details