We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone at the oktoberfest now? smoking ban

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cambridge
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
anyone at the oktoberfest now? smoking ban

Hi, is anyone at or been to this years oktoberfest who can tell me what the smoking situation is please? I've heard it's no smoking in the tents but I've also read that there are smoking balconies and in some tents the ban isn't being enforced.

thanks in advance for any replys.

The following text is copied from a munich tourist website.

"Municipal organisers said they will turn a blind eye to smoking inside the marquees, because it will be another year before the grounds can be remodelled to create open-air smoking areas where revellers can take refuge. However breweries said they have told waiters to ask guests to stop smoking inside the tents if they begin."

"This ban was decided by referendum and the public has spoken," said Toni Roiderer, spokesman for the brewers' committee. He appealed to tourists to eat and drink a little more to compensate for the sacrifice of not smoking.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,432 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anyone at the oktoberfest now? smoking ban

Haven't been yet. Going next week and next weekend. Originally there was going to be a gentle reminder about not smoking but not "physicaly" enforced. A few weeks later I heard Toni Roiderer on the radio saying that the general ban was going to be enforced. Heard nothing since. Will be interesting as this weekend is Italian weekend and if they are unaware what is going on I 'm sure we will hear about it.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anyone at the oktoberfest now? smoking ban

I was there this week and I was very happily surprised that people were actually following the smoking ban, even though it seemed not strictly enforced by security. Hardly anybody was smoking, and people were standing outside of the entrances to smoke.

I don't know how things will be handled in the weekend though, because then you can't walk freely in and out. Maybe they will give passes or have a smoking area in the tent.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anyone at the oktoberfest now? smoking ban

Mamma mia... Italian stallions getting ready to plunder the bavarian riches... You will find that Germans are good at self regulation... ie, if a non smoker sees a smoker light up in a smoke free zone they wont be shy at telling them to put it out... See what happens when the southerners turn up... 'whatttya meana, no smoka... youra busta my ballsa'?

4. Re: anyone at the oktoberfest now? smoking ban

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2011, 02:19
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anyone at the oktoberfest now? smoking ban

Don't make jokes about this to the germans! ;)

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,432 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anyone at the oktoberfest now? smoking ban

I like that - "Where's your license?"

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anyone at the oktoberfest now? smoking ban

In the 4 days I spent at the wiesn this week, I only noticed once people who were smoking in the tent (but I wasn't looking very carefully for this). The smokers were two extremely sexy girls (+ the waitress) at our table and nobody dared saying anything for the risk of chasing them away ;)

Edited: 24 September 2010, 15:07
cambridge
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: anyone at the oktoberfest now? smoking ban

Thanks for the replys..

What is Italian weekend?

I'm flying out tomorrow and can't wait for a beer served in a decent sized glass for a change! Unlike last year We've managed to book a table for next friday in the oxen tent ( can't remember name but someone knows it ) Do you get a pass or a ticket so you can get in and out I wonder?

See you there

Keiron

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: anyone at the oktoberfest now? smoking ban

...its when half of italy comes to town,.,, all the italian stallions... mummas and wives left at home...

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: anyone at the oktoberfest now? smoking ban

Bugger, should have gone that weekend with the Italians then rather than the first weekend!!!