We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich to Salzburg

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
Munich to Salzburg

Can anyone tell me how long it will take us by train to Salzburg from Munich and about how much. Also is the train station easy to get to and do the trains run pretty often. We would like to stay 2 nights in both cities. We are looking at different options - nothing booked as yet as we need to check out best areas and hotels in Munich first,,,, Many thanks any help about Munich will be welcome.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,362 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich to Salzburg

1,5 - 2 hours

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Salzburg

Cheapest is to use regional trains on a Bayern Ticket (EUR 28,00). A mini group (2-5 persons) day ticket covering all regional trains in Bavaria and to/from Salzburg Hbf. Covers furthermore also all other local public transport in Munich (S-Bahn, U-Bahn, trams and buses). Bayern Ticket is valid

Mo-Fr: from 9am till 3am next day

Sa,Su: from midnight till 3am next day

If you want to use this ticket select at the DB timetable as means of transport "only local transport".

MVV - Munich local public transport

http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/home/index.html

wales
Level Contributor
341 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich to Salzburg

Hi,my husband and i returned from munich on friday.On the thursday we did a trip to Salzburg on the train.Upon arrival at Munich train station we went to purchase our tickets from the office and they wanted 128 euros for the both of us,we thought this was very expensive for a day trip and decided to go to the organised tour office,they charged us 70 euros for the two of us with a guide.

It was excellent, the xmas market is a delight ,so much so Salzburg is where we will be next xmas.Have a lovely time wandering around the side streets you will find some great shopping.Also the fort up on the hill is fantatic.

Angela

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,362 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich to Salzburg

EUR 128 sounds like an open return ticket.

a) you can do a day trip to Salzburg using a Bayern Ticket. EUR 28,00 for 2-5 persons if you buy online or from a ticket machine. EUR 30,00 at the counter. For the restrictions see my first answer.

b) there is also a one day return ticket called "Freizeit-Ticket München - Salzburg". EUR 30,00 per person if bought online or from a ticket machine. EUR 35,00 at the counter. This ticket covers also the long distance trains and has no restriction of past 9am only on weekdays.

details (albeit in German only)

bahn.de/p/…muenchen-salzburg.shtml

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich to Salzburg

How long did it take you. Thanks

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich to Salzburg

Thanks for your help. i have never been to Munich or Germany for that matter but really want visit. We want to spend our last couple of nights in Salzburg but we think it would be nice to visit somewhere near by for a couple of nights first. (we don't mind travelling a few hours if you have any better sugestions) I want to go to eagles nest but i believe we can do this from either city. I have been looking all year for somewhere in Germany that is not too far from Salzburg but i get headache and stressed becausse there's so many places i just don't know where to start. We are quite active like nice hotels, tradition, walking,eating, culture, sight seeing anything really. My daughter has got her heart set on visiting a beer kellar.

Because Salzburg is very laid back we wanted to go somewhere a bit more lively then chill in Salz for a couple of nights before heading back home. This will be our 3rd time in Salzburg we are looking at Aug/Sept next year. Thanks again

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich to Salzburg

Munich to Salzburg is 2 hours or just under using the regional trains on which the Bayern Ticket is valid.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich to Salzburg

what is the bayern ticket thanks

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich to Salzburg

There must be about a thousand posts on the Bayern Ticket on the German forum.. It is a ticket that covers all local public transport in Bavaria for a day for up to 5 people. The only real restriction is that journeys can't start until after (I think 9.30) in the morning.

germany-tourism.co.uk/EGB/practical_informat…

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,362 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Munich to Salzburg

> what is the bayern ticket thanks

see my answers #1 and #3 in this thread

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
212 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Munich to Salzburg

Bavaria / Bayern ticket as stated in bahn.com/i/…laender-ticket.shtml :

'... valid from Monday to Sunday for one day of your choice from 9 a.m. until 3 a.m. of the following day on Saturday and Sunday and bank holidays from 0 a.m. until 3 a.m. of the following day. It can be used on all local trains (Interregio-Express, Regional-Express, Regionalbahn, S-Bahn) and the entire transport system in Bavaria as well as the Münchner Verkehrsbund (MVV) and Verkehrsverbund Nürnberg (VGN), Augsburger Verkehrs- und Tarifverbundes (AVV) and many more..."