We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
154 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report

Just came back this past Friday from an eight day trip to Munich. This has been a wonderful trip,better than expected. I've been twice to Dresden before,but this was my first trip to Bavaria. The weather has been a blessing,it was snowing almost during the entire trip. I've stayed at the Royal Hotel by the train station. I've had a nice clean room and there was a good breakfast included in the room rate and free wi-fi. The staff is very pleasant and helpful. I've spent three days in Munich itself and took five day trips. I've visited three Christmas markets in Munich:Marienplatz,Medieval one and the one at Residentz.I'd say the Medieval one was my favorite,not only because of the atmosphere but because of the food as well. There was a lot food vendors who were cooking various meats and fish using real fire/ wood coals. I went to the old Pinakothek,it wasn't bad,some famous old masters,but obviously the collection not as rich as at some more famous galleries.Went to a few concerts,a Mozart requiem performance in a little chapel at Residentz complex. It was a pretty good performance. Also,I went to an advent organ performance at the Dome-was good too,not spectacular though. The last performance that I've attended was a Bach choir concert at St.Michael's church.It was spectacular,I highly recommend it! My first day trip was to Landshut,I really enjoyed this little charming town. Have hit all the touristy spots,including the castle and the Christmas market. Landshut has the old town well preserved and in really good shape. The second day trip was to Regensburg-it was my best day trip.It was snowing pretty hard and the town looked even more beautiful.Walked around the old town for a several hours,visited the main cathedral,the markets,and so fourth.The bratwursts at the historic restaurant were pretty good too.The next trip was to Mittenwald,again I was charmed by this beautiful Alpine village.To my disappointment both of the mountain lifts were closed for maintenance,but I still enjoyed walking around the village. Had a lunch at the Gasthof stern,it was good,tried the local brew-it wasn't bad either.The next day I went to Salzburg,again hitting all the touristy spots,Christmas markets and so on. The fortress was my favorite attraction.The very last trip was to Zugspitze,the highest mountain in Germany,the views were amazing-highly recommend it! I've really enjoyed this trip,Bavaria is really beautiful,especially the little towns and apline villages. To me Munich itself, architecture wise is not that impressive compared to Prague for example,but there are still plenty of things to do or to see.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,837 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report

Thank you jekav, we are always happy to get feedback from people :-)

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip to Munich and that the trip to the Zugspitze worked out.

Maybe you would like to make your trip report a bit more permanent?

If you have look on the right-hand side of the forum, you will see that we still have no itineraries. To have itineraries, we need "Traveler Lists" (Itineraries are just links to "Traveler Lists").

So if you like, you could expand your trip report and create a "Traveler List" called, for example, "One week in Munich in winter" and put in all the locations you liked on your visit with their associated URLs a s hort description.

As soon as it is ready you could send me a message and I could link it up and we would have our first itinerary.

How to write a Traveler List: tripadvisor.com/help/what_are_traveler_golis…

Ideally, in the end our itinerary section would like the one on bigger forums, like the London forum, see here: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g186338-i17-London…

However, in the London section people put in in which hotel they stayed. I'm not certain that really belongs in there, for that I think we have the hotel review section in my opinion.

So go ahead, take the plunge and write us our first itinerary!

Edited: 08 December 2010, 19:18
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report

Can't read your looooong report. You really need to look up "paragraphs" and see what they are and how they're used! {:"}

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report

Hello.

Thanks for you trip report, was very good to read. We are currently in Munich and was interested in the Medievil Xmas markets that you spoke of, can you please tell me where it is located.

Thanks

M

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
154 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report

• Medieval Christmas Market with gospel singing (1st December - 23rd December 2006)

Wittelsbacher Platz (close to Odeonsplatz)

Unique Gothic stalls, a Celtic Arcade, and other kiosks made of wood replicate historical medieval

mittelaltermarkt-muenchen.de/mittelaltermark…

Edited: 15 December 2010, 19:23
Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,091 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report

you really packed a lot of interesting things in your trip. Sounds like you planned well. Thanks for sharing.

6. Re: Trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2011, 05:39