We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we book tours from USA or wait till we get to Munich

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
51 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Should we book tours from USA or wait till we get to Munich

Just wanted to know if you felt we would save money and time to book day tours here before we go to Munich or if it would be better to just have the hotel in Munich book the tours for us when we arrive? Also do you think greyline tours is the best route to go for the day trips to Salzburg and the palace tours or should we just take public transport ?We are going to Munich for the first time in late april and would appreciate any input! THANKS!

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
130 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we book tours from USA or wait till we get to Munich

I am partial to public transportation, and it is excellent in Munich and Bavaria, so that would be my preference, especially for a day trip to Salzburg. You can get there by train in about 1-1/2 hours, and if you travel after 9:00 am during the week, or any time on the weekend, you can use the Bayern Ticket which costs about 29 euro and is good for 2-5 passengers traveling together. The ticket is good all day.

When you mention the castle tours, I assume you mean Linderhof and Neuschwanstein. I have been to both using public transportation, but I think it would be virtually impossible to see them both on the same day with public transportation. By the time you coordinate regional trains and regional buses, it is a full day trip to either place. If you want to see both castles in one day take a bus tour.

I have been on Grayline to other destinations, and I was satisfied, but last year when I was there I met a woman in Oberammergau who was on the Linderhot/Neuschwanstein tour and got left behind in Oberammergau. She had to catch a train back to Munich on her own. I don't know the full story, of course, but apparently they didn't watch out for her, to make sure she got back on the bus.

In any event, I think you would be better off booking the tour after you arrive in Munich. Your hotel can certainly provide you with a number of options in this regard.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we book tours from USA or wait till we get to Munich

We decided to go with Grayline tours after reading a thread here about some of the disadvantages of going with public transport to see the Castles (Radius tours was the one we initially looked at). We were glad we did (we were in Munich in October last year), since we got to see both Linderhof and Neuschwanstein, as well as Oberammergau. The guide certainly did her best in making sure everyone on the bus was accounted for, so it was surprising to read about the lady that got left behind. Incidentally, we bought our tickets at the tourist office at the Hauptbahnhof.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
232 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we book tours from USA or wait till we get to Munich

I rather do it on my own no tour companies. I like to be independent, and in Germany it is so easy to go on your own. If you don;t want to take the trail - you can rent a car for a day or 2 and see all the sites around Munich, and take as long as you like to visit the sites.

california
Level Contributor
51 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we book tours from USA or wait till we get to Munich

Thanks for all the quick and helpful responses!!!

I think we will wait till we are there as you suggested and then possibly book the greyline tours only to the castles and explore the rest on our own. Do you know if the train runs on sundays to Salzburg? Is the Bayern ticket also good for that day? We are arriving on April24th(Easter sunday) and staying at the Le Meridian so we are close to the main train station so catching the train,if it runs that day, should be no problem.

Again...Thanks for all the help! Dave

Munich
Level Contributor
178 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we book tours from USA or wait till we get to Munich

The Bayern ticket is good on everyday from 9am to 3am the next day.It is ridiculously good value for money.

Have fun and be sure to visit the castle in Salzburg - it's ace!

california
Level Contributor
51 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we book tours from USA or wait till we get to Munich

Thanks for the advice about the castle and the rail ticket...Do you think they are open Easter sunday or should we just stay local in Munich that day? Will the beer halls in Munich be open?

Dave

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,881 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we book tours from USA or wait till we get to Munich

Bayern Ticket is valid:

Mo-Fr: from 9am till 3am next day

Sa, Su and public holidays: from midnight till 3am next day

(Easter Monday is a public holiday)

Bayern Ticket covers all regional trains in Bavaria and to/from Salzburg Hbf. It covers also nearly all other local public transport in Bavaria. E.g. the S-Bahn, U-BAhn, trams and buses in Munich. And the buses from Füssen station to Hohenschwangau where the castles are. The buses in Salzburg are however not covered.

The castles and beer halls are open.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we book tours from USA or wait till we get to Munich

>Do you think they (castles) are open Easter sunday

Yes, all castles and palaces are open on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday.

Neuschwanstein: …bayern.de/englisch/…neuschw.htm

Linderhof: …bayern.de/englisch/…li_schl.htm

Palaces in Munich:

Residenz: …bayern.de/englisch/palace/objects/mu_res.htm

Nymphenburg: …bayern.de/englisch/…ny_schl.htm

>Will the beer halls in Munich be open?

Yes.

See here for some suggestions for beer halls (the ones where the description says Bavarian or beer hall):

http://tinyurl.com/munich-restaurants

If you click on the above map and only an empty map of Munich loads, just hit the back button on your browser once and the restaurants will load.

This is a known issue and is caused by Google having introduced a new version of their interface. Google is working on solving this problem.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we book tours from USA or wait till we get to Munich

I would not opt for any tour operators as traveling on your own is the best option according to me. By doing so you don't have any sort of boundations regarding places to visit and time to spend.

california
Level Contributor
51 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we book tours from USA or wait till we get to Munich

What great info from everyone...thanks again .We were a little worried about coming Easter sunday but not now! Great advice about the many beer halls and the great links to the castles. Richard we are coming to the same conclusion about most of the tours ...you have all helped we Munich "virgins" quite a lot! Thanks,Dave

ps if anyone has any more advice please feel free to share it