We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castle Neuschwanstein tour

Gulf Bree
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Castle Neuschwanstein tour

Hello traveler!

Does any one have a suggestion as to which day would be best to tour the Ludwig's castles? We have Sunday June 19 or Monday the 20th open. Also, if someone can recommend which tour company to choose that would be helpful too. I've check Viator so far and GetYoiurGuide and both seem comparable Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Karen

Mike's Bike Tours
City Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Munich
City Tours, Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Big Hat Tours
Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Radius Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,000 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Castle Neuschwanstein tour

The cheapest option is to go there by yourself. You could use a Bayern Ticket for this. EUR 29 for 2-5 persons. Covers the whole route from your hotel in Munich to the ticket center in Hohenschwangau for Neuschwanstein Castle. As the Bayern Ticket is on weekdays only valid past 9am - Sundays has the advantage that you can start also before 9am.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Hohenschwangau

You can reserve tickets only in advance:

www.hohenschwangau.de/ticketcenter0.0.html

The tour through the castle are always by the castle administration. No matter if you arrive there by tour bus or as individual travelers.

You'll change from train to bus at Füssen. A really nice Bavarian town.

http://www.fuessen.de/244.0.html

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
368 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Castle Neuschwanstein tour

We went on a weekday last fall and is was still busy, but not as much as on the weekends I've been told. Also we bought the Kings Ticket to tour both hohenschwangau and neuschwanstein. This was great and I'm sure you are aware that it is best to have reserve tickets as you have your own line to check in which can literally save you hours. A suggestion would be to stay in Fussen Sunday night and tour on Monday as the town is wonderful.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
249 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Castle Neuschwanstein tour

I would echo what others have posted. All tours are conducted by the same people so the company that gets you there will not matter much. I for one would not go there on a weekend, mondays a re just about always the slowest day anywhere, just make sure it is not some holiday. I too ejoyed the town of Fussen and there is also another castle near by that I did not go to. I travel very little but this was a very easy and user friendlytrip for me. Note - it is a short tour, maybe an hour or a ltlle over. You will not see most of it but what you do is very good. To get to the castle you will need to take either a bus up to the castle or a horse carriage ride from the ticket office.. Nice day - go with the horse. I believe you can walk if you have the legs of a mule. Enjoy.

Gulf Bree
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Castle Neuschwanstein tour

Hey thanks everyone for such great suggestion! We've booked an apartment in Munich so we will definitely return the same day. And it is looking like Monday will be our day to do this tour.

As for fending for ourselves, I like the entertainment factor of a tour guide while going and returning, just so someone else can do the talking!

Thanks for the ticket in advance advice.

Thanks to all,

Karen

Gulf Bree
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Castle Neuschwanstein tour

Hi Mobiletraveler....If we go thru a travel guide company wouldn't the advance ticket purchase reservation be made through them? If not, I suppose I can google a site for this, yes?

Thank you,

Karen

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
368 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Castle Neuschwanstein tour

Hi Karen. What company are you going through? When we were there the ticket to the castle included a tour guide in many different languages. Do you mean that you are booking a tour company for travel to and from munich? Anyway the site we used was www.neuschwanstein.com. click on english version and choose tourist info then ticketcenter hohnschwangau. We paid 42 euros for two people for the kings ticket. I would think a tour company would hopefully do this but maybe not. If you want to enjoy the history of the area I think touring hohenschwangau before neuschwanstein is very enlighting! Hope this helps.

Edited: 15 February 2011, 01:30
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Castle Neuschwanstein tour

Many people don't like driving, but that trip from Munich is ideal for a car--the driving is very easy. You can see a lot more between Munich and Hohenschwangau in one day if you drive yourself. Especially since you'll have many hours of sunlight at that time of the year.

Edited: 17 February 2011, 17:51
British Columbia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Castle Neuschwanstein tour

We are also planning to stay in Munich and just go to Neuschwanstein for the day. I've noticed that the bus tour includes a stop at Linderhof and Oberamergau. Doesn't that make the extra price of the tour worth it?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Castle Neuschwanstein tour

Whether the price is worth it or not depends on what you want to see and do, the total price, how many sights the tour stops at, how long you get at each sight, and the amenities or extras provided with the tour.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,245 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Castle Neuschwanstein tour

"We are also planning to stay in Munich and just go to Neuschwanstein for the day. I've noticed that the bus tour includes a stop at Linderhof and Oberamergau. Doesn't that make the extra price of the tour worth it?"

depends on a lot. How long do you get at the various locations?

If you're in Munich for a few days, you can easily do Oberammergau by train and have as long as you like there. Certainly Neuschwanstein is very doable by train- and you spend as long as you like. I have been rushed round a few places in my time, and usually went back to do it in a relaxed way.

Incidentally, if you have a couple of days for trips, I'd advocate N castle as one (Bavaria ticket) and Mittenwald as the other.